Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is best to use for painting a deck?

Heather5
Getting Established

What is best to use for painting a deck?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is best to use for painting a deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Heather5. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Can I please confirm that you wish to paint your deck with coloured paint and not stain and preserve it with oil? The term "paint" is sometimes used interchangeably.

You can use Dulux Weathershield to paint a deck. If you wish to colour and preserve it with oil, I would suggest the Cabot's range of products. 

If you do in fact want to oil the deck, you should find this step-by-step guide helpful: How To Oil Your Deck.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions about the process.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

I'm using Cabot's Deck Stain and I wanted to know what is best to use to paint a deck, eg. brush, broom?  However, I looked up Bunnings and found a broom which would get between the gaps.  I've just bought one and hope this works for me  

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers, Heather

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Heather5,

Many thanks for the additional information. As per the application instructions you can use either a paint brush or decking applicator. I'm not sure if a broom is going to hold the product in the bristles allowing you to evenly distribute the over the deck.

Mitchell

Heather5
Getting Established

Painting the Deck

Thanks to Mitchell for all his advice.  I bought the deck broom and painted two coats of Deck Stain. It did paint the gaps between the boards quite well.  As Mitchell said, the Broom probably wouldn't hold enough paint so I bought the Deck Oil & Deck Stain soft applicator.  I did the third coat with this and it worked well.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,

Heather5

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting the Deck

Hi @Heather5,

I'm sure the community would love to see your results if you'd like to share them with us.

It's good to hear you had success and please let us know anytime you need assistance with projects around your home and garden. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects