Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is making holes in my lawn?

burnsie2
Finding My Feet

What is making holes in my lawn?

Wondering if anyone can tell me what could be making  this hole in my lawn. It is about 50-60 cm deep. And about 10cm across. There hasn’t been any mound of dirt on the surface. It has appeared in the last two weeks. 

image.jpg

WhatAreThese
Finding My Feet

Can someone please tell me what’s making these holes?

48F3C38A-E362-4147-85FA-2E734ACC412E.jpeg

Hey guys, recently i’ve had holes like this popping up. First in the front entrance next to my pavers and now i’ve just found this one in the grass? They’re very neat but i am just curious if it’s an insect or something else? I live in suburbia and don’t really have much bushland near me. Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can someone please tell me what’s making these holes?

Hello @WhatAreThese

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's brilliant to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the holes in your lawn.

I just wanted to let you know that there have been previous discussions about this particular phenomenon. The common consensus is that it might possibly be lawn grubs or cicadas. They are either digging themselves out or laying eggs on your lawn. By the looks of it, your lawn is in very good shape and if there are only a few of these holes, there should be no major threat to the health of your lawn.

Here are the links to the previous discussion:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Can someone please tell me what’s making these holes?

Awesome, thanks for the response mate, huge help!

Evie73
Just Starting Out

Re: What is making holes in my lawn?

Maybe a trapdoor spider, ones that don't make a door. The Sydney Brown doesn't make a door, I have them in my lawn and let them be. They hide in the entrance and disappear down their hole if u go near them.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is making holes in my lawn?

Hello @Evie73 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge regarding the Sydney Brown spider. It's definitely a possible candidate in what caused the holes in the lawn. Should you have the opportunity to take a photo of the spider outside its nest, please make sure to share the picture. I'm sure our members are keen to see how big this spider is.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects