Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

Thanks for any assistance. We got a guy to dig a trench at the lower part of a small embankment, along the dirt driveway to the drain. He only had one bucket size so really the trench was too wide to begin with, about 40-50cm. The trench is clay. Now each time it rains , here and there small areas of that embankment wall in the trench, collapse. What would be the best solution to ensuring the trench never collapses?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

Re: What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

great idea with the brick rubble! Thanks for that Dave!

sorry weather is so very bad its interfering with the internet and I'm finding to tricky#@!! to load pics currently..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JacqG 

Can you please send your pictures to workshop@bunnings.com.au. I'll be more than happy to post them for you. It sounds like the clay surface is being slowly washed away by the rain flowing down your driveway. If you combine both suggestions of using geo fabric and brick rubble it will definitely slow the water down and prevent further erosion. 

We look forward to seeing the pictures.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacqG
Cultivating a Following

thanks so much, really appreciate this website...have sent the pics just now

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JacqG 

I've looked through our inbox and junk folder and I'm afraid your pictures did not come through. Can you please send it again? 

workshop@bunnings.com.au 

Thanks,

Eric

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

Oh!? ..sorry just sent again from my phone to the address indicated...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JacqG,

Seems like there are some issues in getting those images through to us via email. We are still not receiving them at workshop@bunnings.com.au. Could you check your outbox to see if they are still pending? Perhaps the images are too large and the email is failing to send. Have you tried using the text box upload feature for images?

Mitchell

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

I have sent them again from my laptop this time, Hopefully they get to you?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

All good now @JacqG! I've added the images to your original post. I'll tag @Jewelleryrescue and @Dave-1 so they've got a better idea of what's going on.

The best option might be to line the trench with geotextile fabric and then fill it with drainage gravel. A bulk delivery hopefully wouldn't set you back too much. Have the truck dump it's load along the length of the trench and push it straight into the ditch. The only other option I can think of would be running a retaining wall along the entire length, but that's quite a long distance and a considerable amount of work.

Mitchell

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

Great! Thanks so much for all the assistance and advice!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @JacqG 

Wooohooo :smile: Drainage plus! I like your gutter and would still go for the gravel/ag pipe with a sleeve and then more gravel tho maybe a larger size to cover it.

One of my workmates suggested larger stones to form a kind of dishdrain/creek bed. That could look pretty stylish and would also carry your excess stormwater. He suggested some quickset concrete in it but I am not sold on that idea :smile:

One of the photos have a line of small stones along the edge, Thats the size I wa sthinking for a dish like drain, maybe larger sized rocks on the high side of the gutter.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects