Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to stop water dripping through the deck upstairs to downstairs

Ellshell
Just Starting Out

What is the easiest and cheapest way to stop water dripping through the deck upstairs to downstairs

20210819_170125.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the easiest and cheapest way to stop water dripping through the deck upstairs to down...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ellshell. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about weatherproofing your deck.

An option would be to extend the joists with purlins adjusted to a slight fall and fix iron or polycarbonate sheeting to them. You can then install guttering to divert the collected water into a stormwater outlet. I've put together an illustration below to explain better.

There are potentially easier or cheaper ways to do this, but I am unsure how they would stand the test of time.

Is the deck fully exposed to the weather, and how much water drips through to the lower level?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What is the easiest and cheapest way to stop water dripping through the deck upstairs to down...

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for that advise. I'm more looking for something to lay on the floor of the deck cause the rain comes in 2 different directions, would also help if I over watered my plants😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Ellshell,

How much of the deck did you want to cover? Perhaps you could place your plants on some rubber floor matting?

My only concern about placing something on the decking would be where the water will then be directed. Obviously, it needs to go somewhere, and that will be determined by whether the deck has any fall or slope.

Have you considered installing a water system on a timer that utilises drippers? That way, there won't be any excess water ending up on the deck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects