Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use for a guinea pig hutch?

brooke_lynch98
Just Starting Out

What paint to use for a guinea pig hutch?

So I have a wooden guinea pig hutch that I am doing up. Im at the stage of painting but I just wasnt sure on which paint would be best as it is possible the guinea pigs will do some chewing. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Guinea Pig Hutch

Hello @brooke_lynch98

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about painting your guinea pig hutch.

You've got a few options on how to seal the hutch. You can use Feast Watson 250ml Kitchen Timber Oil, this oil is often used on chopping boards and fruit boxes to seal the timber and protect its finish. Another alternative is putting Feast Watson 125g Kitchen Timber Wax, this produces a beautiful lustre when buffed to a high finish. The last option is to use Cabots 1L Gloss Clear Benchtop Timber Finish, it is a highly durable, stain-resistant, fast-drying varnish that is safe for use in kitchen timber benchtops when the surface is fully cured.

These finishes are all rated to be food-safe, so if your guinea pigs decide to have a munch on the hutch they should be safe.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects