Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's the strangest thing you've seen a neighbour doing?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

What's the strangest thing you've seen a neighbour doing?

Our neighbour recently removed some trees and we now have a view directly into their backyard. Which is OK as the neighbours are pretty quiet and don't seem to be around much. But I am thankful it wasn't done earlier.

The previous neighbour had a motorbike and used to ride in circles around his backyard, which I found very strange considering he was a grown man that could ride on the streets anytime he liked. 

What's the strangest thing you've ever seen a neighbour doing?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What's the strangest thing you've seen a neighbour doing?

As a kid my bedroom window overlooked a neighbouring backyard. I used to find it very amusing when the old bloke next door did laps in his Bonds singlet while shadow boxing like Rocky.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Moved back to our home in Brisbane after living in New Guinea for 6 years or so, to find the house next door had been rented out to some very strange people. No problem,used to strange things and strange people after the last few years. ( Ohhh the stories I could tell )  My beautiful golden canes and bangalow palms were so lush and the back yard was like a tropical resort. Floor to ceiling glass in the dining room window allowed our guests to enjoy that view as we sat down to dinner. Imagine my surprise to see a dancing red dot appear on the forehead of my guest ! My partner and I didn't live in Port Moresby and learn nothing ! He launched himself across the table in an origin worthy tackle and took her to the floor while I dived for the light switch, grabbed the phone and dialled 000. Utter bedlam !  Long story short - new neighbour was a peeping tom hiding in my garden with a laser ! Police established he was wanted for shining laser at pilots landing at Brisbane airport. Took him away, but my friends would not return for another dinner. They thought the entertainment a little too hands on !! Ha ha. Cheers.

Henno
Having an Impact

My next door neighbour used to have a small pool in his backyard and one day I saw him putting all these pieces of rock, lumps of wood and also car parts into it (yep, I couldn't believe it too). Finally he topped it up with some soil and filled it all up which took him about two years and then turfed it over to make a great lawn, which he cares for to this very day. I had to admire him for his patience but I did think it was a bit eccentric to say the least at the time! To this day though I've never met his "beloved" wife Betty...
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Jason

Guy used to wander out into the front yard after his wife died wearing a singlet and yfronts, clear his nose and wander back inside...

Couple of guys did a daily walk to the bottle shop while driking their last beer. Carton of 30 cans each a day, no food, next door gave them weed and a good time.

Now she has been replaced with a hoarding greyhound trainer.

We were having band practice one winter's night and one of the members stepped out onto the deck to have a ciggy. She rushed back in and said, "There's a drunk guy riding a sheep around in circles on the front lawn !!" We all peeked out of the window and sure enough there he was. The police came and picked him up. We were laughing so hard we don't know how they got the sheep out of the garden. Hmmmmm??

When living in a unit I had a neighbour who liked to, umm how do I politely say this? 'Enjoy his own company' or he entertained Mrs Palmer and her 5 daughters on the balcony EVERY NIGHT.
We put up some bamboo privacy blinds, but he'd just move them?!?!!
Annette
Making a Splash

We once had a neighbour who we often saw doing heavy work in the garden and one night as we returned home we saw him in the headlights shoveling sheep manure out of a trailer onto the lawn. I have never seen anyone move so quick to get out of sight ! A few weeks later there was a knock at my door and it was an investigator from Social Security. I was asked if the neighbour used his walking cane and I said "I didn't know he used a walking cane". It was then that I learned that he was on an invalid pension !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects