Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sand to use between pavers?

mitmayank20
Just Starting Out

What sand to use between pavers?

Hi, 

I got an external person to do cleaning, sanding, and sealing the pavers. Unfortunately, after he completes the job it rains and the sand between the pavers drained for a few areas. 

I want to try my own this time now. Can you please help me, with which sand I can use to fill the gaps?

Can I also apply the sealing coat without doing a wash again? It was done 3-4 months back only. 

Regards,

Mayank

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What sand to use between pavers?

Hello @mitmayank20 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what sand to use for paving gaps.

Before you fill in the gaps in your pavers, I suggest covering up the areas where the sand flowed out. I propose using a mixture of sand and cement for the exit areas so that they harden up and form a barrier. In that manner, even in heavy rain, the sand will not flow out. For the parts in between, I suggest having a look at Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand or Easy Mix 20kg Paver Bond Polymeric Sand.

The general mixture of sand and cement is 3 parts sand and 1 part cement. Make sure to mix them well before you fill the outer perimeter of the paved area. Please make sure you've brushed away all the excess mix so that you won't get the mixture drying on the surface of the pavers. Use the mist function of your garden gun so that you won't accidentally wash away the mix.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects