Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sealant for FSC eucalyptus wood tabletop?

BarbsY
Just Starting Out

What sealant for FSC eucalyptus wood tabletop?

IMG_4277.png

Hi, I’ve just bought this Mimosa Coffee table with a FSC eucalyptus table top. Should I seal it with something to protect it from getting mouldy/damaged by the rain?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What sealant for FSC eucalyptus wood tabletop?

Hello @BarbsY 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your coffee table.

This is an excellent table with an aluminium frame which makes it impervious to the elements. The paint would probably peel in a few years but the frame itself will remain intact. In regards to the timber, I don't think it's necessary at this time to apply any sealer on top as it already has a multi-layer protective coating for its wooden top.

As time passes, you'll start to see that coating degrade, there is no escape from this. But when the time comes, and the coating starts to peel and delaminate all you need to do is to sand the surface and apply a water-based sealer that will give several more years of protection.

A good example would be Bondall 1L Satin Monocel Gold Marine Clear Timber Varnish. It provides UV protection and is designed for Australia's harsh weather conditions.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BarbsY
Just Starting Out

Thank you so much Eric! I get confused with all the different options and differences (oils, sealant, varnish etc) so thanks for giving me something I can just go straight to the shelf and pick out!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BarbsY 

My apologies the Bondall 1L Satin Monocel Gold Marine Clear Timber Varnish is not water based as brushes and rollers need to be cleaned in mineral turpentine. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects