Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What stain for outdoor table?

cristina
Finding My Feet

What stain for outdoor table?

Hi all, I’m a total newbie at this sort of stuff. Today I made a side table for outdoors. I want to stain it next but I’m unsure of my next steps or product to use as a google search just confused me. So I’ve  just used dressed pine  I haven’t attached the top 4 pieces yet as I figured I should stain it before attaching. So any help with staining is greatly appreciated. 

2481CEB6-D285-4B44-A3C5-AB39ADDCBD8F.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what stain?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cristina. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Your next step would be to sand the rough edges or splinters so the table is ready for coating. I would suggest using Flexovit 115mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll

Once you are happy with the result I would suggest using Cabot's exterior stain and varnish. This includes the colourant and a protective varnish coating. You can apply this product with a brush or a small nap roller for a smoother coat.

Let me mention some of our keen woodworkers @Poppop, @r23on, @woodenwookie to get their opinions on the best stain and/or coating for your project.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Poppop
Making a Splash

Re: What stain for outdoor table?

Nice job on the table @cristina . As usual @MitchellMc  has all the bases and good ideas covered. Only suggestion I can add if you're  a newbie is if you have to sand anything follow the directions of the wood grain and when you stain it closely follow the directions on the can. 

Amazing. Thankyou!

@MitchellMc Another two question in regards to this... if I wanted to use a clear varnish what could I use? Again looking through everything I’m a bit confused as to what I should use.

And also if I wanted a stain but soemthing super light in regards to colour what would be the best option? 

thanks once again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@cristina,

We have a range of Cabot's Clear Exterior Timber Finish which would be suitable. The varnish coating alone will give a super light colour change to the timber, the colour of the timber will appear more prominent and cast honey-coloured hues.

If you were going to apply a stain and then a clear over the top you would generally just use a 2 in 1 stain and varnish such as the Cabot's exterior stain and varnish. There are many colours available to select from.

If you have an offcut of the timber and take it into a helpful paint expert in-store, I trust they will be able to show you some colour options and/or try some on the timber for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects