Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for low-level deck over concrete?

R49hty
Finding My Feet

What timber for low-level deck over concrete?

Hi comunlty , i will be building a liw level deck over existing concrete. 

The size is 6.5m x 3.6m , i intend to use the plastic adjustable supprts from bunnings.

Can any suggest timber sizes for me please. ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level deck over concret

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @R49hty. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a deck.

The best place to start your plan would be by reading through How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. I'd then encourage you to have a look at the many discussions and questions surrounding deck construction contributed by our members. There's plenty of helpful information that will assist you with your build.

The timber you choose is dependent on the height you have to work within. Items like doorsills can govern your max height. Typically, our members tend to use the smallest possible timber for their joists due to the limited space they're working within. This would be 90 x 45mm outdoor H3 treated Pine.

If you can let us know the height in which you'd like to build your deck, then our knowledgeable members might have some other suggestions for you.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project and assisting as you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell  , thank you for your reply

The deck will be on a existing concrete pad. Its in a pool area and there are no buildings to worry about other than the free standing patio of which is where the deck will be. Can i use 70x35 with the plastic adjustable mounts spaced accordingly on each joist or do i need 90x45. The photo shows the free standing patio below.

IMG_20200410_132838_868.jpg

as you suggested.  There is no problem with height but the lower the better for me

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can use 70 x 35mm timber if you wish @R49hty. Using smaller dimension joists will require additional supports, so you need to account for this in your plans. I'd recommend going with 90 x 45mm and would only use 70 x 35mm if there was some type of extreme limitation to your project.

If you use 90mm timber for the joists, 19mm decking and the Builders Edge 25-40mm Minifoot Pedestal Feet set to 25mm, that will give you a platform of 134mm. That will be perfect for adding 140mm fascia boards around the perimeter. I believe a 140mm high deck is suitable for this type of floating arrangement. You don't want it too low, or it won't have much presence. However, it's your deck, and your enjoyment of it is the priority.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell,  you comments have been very helpful,  i will use your recommendations.

I will post a final photo once finished  

Ray

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance Ray (@R49hty).

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects