Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber to use for external verandah railings/slats?

MikeO
Just Starting Out

What timber to use for external verandah railings/slats?

Hi, I'm replacing some of the wood on the vertical slats in my verandah railing. A few have been infected by some kind of fungal rot, so replacing those. They are 30mm  x 30 mm X 500 mm. My question is, as these are external bits of wood, is it OK to use a pine like this?  use https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-30-x-30mm-1-8m-moulding-pine-dar-standard_p0021343

And what would I need to treat it so it residents fungus and is weatherproof?

Cheers and thanks. 

Mike

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What timber to use for external verandah railings/slats?

Hello @MikeO 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your veranda timber railings.

To give our members a better idea of the condition of the damaged slats, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area? This will give us a chance to assess the condition of your railings. We can then make recommendations on how to make effective repairs.

You mentioned that fungal rot has damaged the rail, has it started to eat into the timber itself or is it just surface damage? Is the railing old and grey or does it still have a hint of paint on it? 

It's important that we find out the cause of the fungal build up and if water is sitting on your railings. 

In regards to the Porta 30 x 30mm 1.8m Moulding Pine DAR Standard, I don't recommend using this as a replacement piece. I suggest using Porta 30 x 30mm 2.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine DAR. This timber piece has been treated and can be used outdoors. 

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects