Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do when water gets on hardwood timber?

Johno2021
Finding My Feet

What to do when water gets on hardwood timber?

Hi, I’ve been laying Blackbutt hardwood decking boards and overnight it’s been raining and water has got onto the timber. Is there a way to get the water stains out of the wood as I need to still oil the decking boards and I don’t want the water marks showing. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what to do when water gets on hardwood timber

Hi @Johno2021

It sounds like you are seeing tannin staining from the water droplets displacing the tannins rather than staining from the water itself. Timbers like Merbau and Blackbutt are full of tannins and require natural weathering or cleaning with a product like Cabot's New Timber Prep before oiling. If raindrops land on the un-sealed timber, they'll dampen the tannins on the surface and create the stains you see. This is all part of the natural weathering process, and typically you'd leave the timber exposed to the weather for six weeks to ensure all the tannins have leeched out before oiling. 

I wouldn't be concerned about the staining you see at the moment. When it comes time to oil, scrub the deck down twice with the new timber prep product, this will strip the remaining tannins and disguise any water droplet marks that are there currently. I built my Merbau deck while it was raining and had similar discoloured spots until I cleaned and oiled it.

To reiterate, you must leave the timber for six weeks to naturally weather (the act of rain soaking the timber on multiple occasions) or strip the tannins out with a cleaning product. Oiling will be ineffective if you do so over tannin-filled timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, also one other question can you suggest an oil for me for Blackbutt decking as I’m having difficulties trying to find the right one. Thanks 

The choice of oil comes down to personal preference @Johno2021, but I understand it can be difficult even to determine what products you could choose from. Do you like the timber colour at the moment, or perhaps you'd like it in a darker shade? If you are happy with its current appearance and would only like to protect it, then you'd go for a natural tinted decking oil. If you'd like to darken the colouring, you'd start looking at oils with stains. You might like to stain the timber to look more like Merbau or perhaps Jarrah. In my opinion, you've selected a beautiful Blackbutt timber, and I'd be sticking with the Natural clear oil.

You might like to take a sample of your timber into your closest store and see whether one of our Paint Experts might be able to test a few products on the timber for you.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

6098EDDE-8800-48BD-B92C-83EAD5EE3580.jpeg

I was hoping to get it as close to this colour from this deck if possible. Thanks 

Hi @Johno2021,

That's likely a cedar/cypress-tinted oil. I'd encourage you to do a test section to ensure that colour is correct on you Black butt timber.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects