Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore and protect timber front gate?

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

How to restore and protect timber front gate?

82366603-8989-42D1-BE18-3E3137E7BCD5.jpeg

CAAC4014-EA65-430D-9663-E5D9EDE069B8.jpeg

Hi all,

I am new to home maintenance. How can I restore and protect this gate? 
Specifically, please recommend Products that require the least skills possible and can be applied directly without sanding. 

Many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore and protect front gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Coco_M. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a timber gate.

Your gate looks in reasonably good shape and likely only needs a coat of Merbau-tinted decking oil. The only area that could possibly be addressed is the bottom length of timber, which has greyed off slightly. It doesn't need sanding but could be improved by scrubbing it down with timber prep. However, you could recoat with oil and not worry about it.

Applying a yearly oil coat will protect the timber and bring out its beautiful natural colours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to restore and protect front gate

Fantastic! Thank you

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: How to restore and protect timber front gate?

Integrain brand is the premium brand that lasts a bit longer then the others.. about 18 to 24 mths, feast Watson's is the mid range lasting between 12-18 months and Cabot's is generally about 12 months before needing to be redone.  Obviously pending correct prep and conditions etc

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thank you, that’s a good tip

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

I finally found a cooler day to tackle the gate.

Here is a photo. Do I need to apply a second coat or is it ok like this?

Also, the second photo is my decking. Should I apply the same product? Somehow it seems more 'painted'.

gate.JPGdesck.JPG

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Coco_M 

Your gate is looking good, I suggest applying one more coat for a uniform finish. If you're planning to repaint your deck it will need to be sanded down first. The paint on your deck is a classic Mission Brown colour, I can't say for certain what the brand is, but it is technically a paint that has been placed over your deck. Painting the deck without any preparation will result in the decking oil peeling off. 

The general steps to re-painting your deck is to sand down the deck, wash the surface to remove all the dirt and debris. Wait for the timber decking to be totally dry and then apply the oil or stain of your choice.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular deck projects 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here are some amazing deck repainting projects shared by our Workshop members:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How big is your deck @Coco_M

If it's large, you'll be best hiring a floor sander to do the job. It would definitely be worthwhile, you could get it looking like new again. 

Jason

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL @Jason ,

Thank you - good to know. I think I need to hire a pro for this one as my hands do not do well with vibrations.

I will wait until next year.

Coco

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects