Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure a post above the ground?

Marten
Cultivating a Following

How to secure a post above the ground?

Hi, below photos. I installed a 4m metal post for shade sail, galvanised 100x100mm 3mm metal thickness. It has been installed in a 70cm hole with concrete. But if I want to make it more secure for double security, how can I make it more secure above the ground? 

A81F26D7-F381-405C-8ED7-097D23BA7CAA.jpeg

7A3A7DDE-022F-4668-9D21-E72EC4605F06.jpeg

6D3FE5D9-D6BC-4542-B88A-9F1F8888A983.jpeg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to secure a post above the ground?

Hi @Marten 

Is the metal post near any other post such as a timber post near that covered area that you have? Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the other side as well please? From the photo it looks like the Merbau panel is attached to the pole. One way to reinforce your 4-meter steel post is to anchor it to another post that is close to it. Another option is to use steel wires as tension support for the post itself. To make it work though, you would need to drill into the post and concrete weights must be made to hold the weight of the post. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marten
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for your reply! As pictured below there is a parallel post with 600mm space. Which Bunnings product I can use to secure these two posts together? 

CD6447D8-7F9A-4B4B-A9C1-289ED30B1F45.jpeg

wooshka
Making a Splash

@Marten . one of the issues with a shade sail is everything that is attached to it with flex and move , not sure if the 70cm you mentioned is 70cm deep or wide

70 cm is no way deep enough or wide to support wind pressure esp with a 4m high pole

More like 1.5 deep at least 

We need more info on on the size of the sail etc

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning Marten! @Marten 

I'm seeing black square steel? - with brackets and bolts. Is that steel also embedded in the concrete?

Capture.PNG

Sorry, just another Sunday morning observation looking at the photo above - looks like a lot of the stone aggregate is still sitting on top. Did you mix this concrete yourself, or is it that pre-mixed (rapid) stuff that you pour dry into the hole than pour water on top?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marten,

I understand that it might be an awkward situation, but if the post needs reinforcement then it's a good indication that it has an inadequate footer or is under specification for the size of sail you're using. I see you have the post installed right on the edge of a precipice. I'd encourage you to seek professional assistance and reconsider if the post is installed appropriately. Shade sails can apply huge forces to their mountings in high winds, and the post installation needs to reflect this. As a general rule of thumb, a post should have one-third to one-half of its total length in the ground. So, a four-metre high post should have between 1300mm and 2000mm below ground.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects