Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use to make a lemon battery?

Me123
Just Starting Out

What to use to make a lemon battery?

800px-Lemon_-_whole_and_split.jpegOne of my children wants to make a lemon battery, what can I use to make it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to use to make a lemon battery?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Me123. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You'll first need to find something made of copper and zinc to use as electrodes. I'd suggest using a Zenith 75mm Zinc Plated Mending Plate and a Kinetic 15mm Copper Pipe Saddle Clip. You'll need to lightly sand the mending plate to expose fresh zinc and bend the copper saddle out so it is flat. After rolling the lemon around to loosen up the juices, place the two electrodes 25mm deep into it and 20mm apart from each other. Make sure they don't touch.

Olex 0.7mm Speaker/Bell Wire can be used to link the electrodes and LED bulb together. The switch does not need to be included and a wire can simply be removed to illustrate a break in the circuit. You'll need to source a low-voltage LED globe from an electronics supply store. Depending on the power required to run the globe, you'll need to link two or more lemons together are per my image below.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc 

You reckon if you had enough lemons you could jump start a ute?

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Me123 

I love information about lemon powered items. Here is a link from a general search on the net, I did not think it was possible but I was proven wrong on reading the article and watching the video. https://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/a-lemon-powered-supercar-and-the-worlds-largest-lemon-battery Handy to know and a fantastic bit of trivia.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects