Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which screw should I use for 18mm polywood?

Marten
Cultivating a Following

Which screw should I use for 18mm polywood?

Hi there,

I am going to make a box with this product. What Gauge and length outdoor screw do you recommend and let me know if Galvanized screws are more resistant to rust or stainless steel screws? 

Thank you in advance!

00.JPG

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Which screw should I use for 18mm polywood?

Hi @Marten 

I was leaving this  for others to help you but 4 hours later here I am. To answer your question Stainless screws are resistant to rusting depending on there grade of stainless. I would use stainless if I was making something on a boat  or a pretty box.  Where as  galvanised screws are mild steel  like screws with a  galvanic coating which is also very good even  if coating chipped. This  would be the better workhorse choice if you like them rust free.

But the truth is normal screws are also pretty good and not prone too  readily rust (unknown alloys)even if they go rust on there heads they are still working in case you have a bigger  project using many screws as  stainless are rarely in stock by the box.

I recommend a big box of screws as you sound like your getting handy and spare screws always a boon to have at  hand. These are 40mm so 20mm through  your wood and 20mm screwing into wood a good  solid screw length for many purposes.

Over time get big 500 to 1000 qty  screw boxes  different sizes 20mm to 100mm screws Its  nice to have them ready to go either galvanised  or regular.

8 guage to 10 guage is thin but strong as thicker screws can  splinter wood  unless you pre drill first.  If you  splintering wood and can t predrill  try rubbing screw point or nails on your scalp  as the oils on your head will help lube the screw and nail an old carpenters  trick  still valid today.  (unless the future arrives  today and the  builder is  an andriod.  Furphy)

Today 

Zenith 8 - 10 x 40mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws - 500 Pack I/N: 2420874  $30.89

Hi @Marten

It's great that @Jewelleryrescue has given you excellent advice. Another way to prevent your timber from splitting is to pre-drill holes in the timber, otherwise known as pilot holes. I also recommend counter-sinking your pilot holes so that you get a nice flush finish. I propose using P&N 4 Piece Quickbit Pilot Drill / Countersink Bit Set. The Zenith 8 - 10 x 40mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws should work nicely and provide you with a long service life.

It sounds like an interesting project. What kind of box are you building and what will you use it for? Any updates you can provide would be very much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marten
Cultivating a Following

thank you @Jewelleryrescue 

thanks for prompt replies and precious solutions you always given to me! 

Marten
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

Thanks, It's a wheeled big box which I will make it to use it as dust bath for chickens. That's why I got a premium marine grade poly wood and I will reinforce it with 35 x 70mm pine. I will seal it with Marin Spar Varnish of Feast Watson at the end. Wheels are heavy duty locking casters. 

Just a quick question, in general, any timber which I will varnish, do I need to oil the timber before varnishing? I mean applying oil to the timber before varnishing, gives me extra wood protection? 

Hi @Marten 

I never heard of a  dust bath for chickens before, I can see it working though.  Can I ask you a question what  dust do we provide them?  Clean  saw dust maybe I am just guessing.  Thank you for sharing  your knowledge too thats  what Bunnings workshop is for.

With  timber you can oil it or seal it with other varnishes etc  but not both at the same time Oil soaked into wood will repel varnish not letting it bond with wood.  Varnish type products will soak and dry in the wood and repel oil and every thing else.

Only far to answer your questions  now.   With  timber you can oil it but this wont be a good idea with  dust  as the oil will want to mix with dust and not look good . Oiled timber  requires yearly oiling to keep it looking sharp  so is pretty much not a  favour it choice these days and maybe less clean for your girls. 

So  your choice of Feast Watson will  work under cover out of the weather as a better choice and not need maintenance. Another option  is 

Sikkens Cetol Deck 1L Natural Timber Finish I/N: 1580495 $57.20 As it UV stable and weather/ cleaning resistant. As a deck oil more  resistant to chicken scratching while loving  there box As its advanced  formula it is oil based but sets like a hard coating so an unique  product.  Chicken purists will  want stuff like  beeswax and ultra natural stuff in there  linseed oils etc and I say yes great  it you want that extra work. I used modern  paints in bee hives and they where 100% ok as a bee keeper. Bees are super sensitive to chemicals. 

I would do like  3 coats to try seal the box against mites that chickens can attract to there coop.  Your chicken knowledge is most likely far   greater than mine as I was a hobbyist only.   So my chicken where infected  with mites and  the coop needs to be cleaned an steralized to fix the problem and the girls needed a chemical bath and us too because we where cleaning out their environment. 

So  in short any thing we  make for the girls needs to be easy to clean from top to bottom with regular coop muck outs.  Chickens dont really  eat wood so using this as a finish in their dust box should be fine.

Ps I like you solid  build ethics @Marten   ie the heavy materials  and they are easier to  assemble.

Hi @Marten 

I never heard of a  dust bath for chickens before, I can see it working though.  Can I ask you a question what  dust do we provide them?  Clean  saw dust maybe I am just guessing.  Thank you for sharing  your knowledge too thats  what Bunnings workshop is for.

With  timber you can oil it or seal it with other varnishes etc  but not both at the same time Oil soaked into wood will repel varnish not letting it bond with wood.  Varnish type products will soak and dry in the wood and repel oil and every thing else.

Only far to answer your questions  now.   With  timber you can oil it but this wont be a good idea with  dust  as the oil will want to mix with dust and not look good . Oiled timber  requires yearly oiling to keep it looking sharp  so is pretty much not a  favour it choice these days and maybe less clean for your girls. 

So  your choice of Feast Watson will  work under cover out of the weather as a better choice and not need maintenance. Another option  is 

Sikkens Cetol Deck 1L Natural Timber Finish I/N: 1580495 $57.20 As it UV stable and weather/ cleaning resistant. As a deck oil more  resistant to chicken scratching while loving  there box As its advanced  formula it is oil based but sets like a hard coating so an unique  product.  Chicken purists will  want stuff like  beeswax and ultra natural stuff in there  linseed oils etc and I say yes great  it you want that extra work. I used modern  paints in bee hives and they where 100% ok as a bee keeper. Bees are super sensitive to chemicals. 

I would do like  3 coats to try seal the box against mites that chickens can attract to there coop.  Your chicken knowledge is most likely far   greater than mine as I was a hobbyist only.   So my chicken where infected  with mites and  the coop needs to be cleaned an steralized to fix the problem and the girls needed a chemical bath and us too because we where cleaning out their environment. 

So  in short any thing we  make for the girls needs to be easy to clean from top to bottom with regular coop muck outs.  Chickens dont really  eat wood so using this as a finish in their dust box should be fine.

Ps I like you solid  build ethics  ie the heavy materials  and they are easier to  assemble.

Marten
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks, it is big pleasure if you acknowledge mu build ethics. My perfectionist personality believes in premium quality materials :smile:

My recommended mixture for chicken dust bath is combination of fine sand, dry dirt, diatomaceous earth, wood ash, used coffee ground and fragrant herbs concentrate. 

Also mixture of diatomaceous earth and fragrant herbs concentrate, spread around the coop keeps ticks, mites and lice away from the girls. 

My chickens in their temporary enclosure :smile: 

IMG_8047.JPG

Hi @Marten 

Nice to meet your Ladies.  (Isa Browns)  or Rhode island red with nicer plummage?

I  have no idea on the chicks, your little brown one is unusual coloring ,  But they all look very nice. I can  almost hear them softly clucking and  your ethics and personality also  extend to looking  after them with a fine mix for there dust bath. I wish I knew more about diatomaceous earth back then. I am not even sure it was avaliable as I try treat my companions  the best.

Silky's  and Rhode reds out of photoSilky's and Rhode reds out of photo

While  broody  I hand feed  golden hen canned corn. 28 years ago, still fond of them.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Marten

Using Feast Watson 1L Spar Marine Varnish should work very well for the dust bath you are planning to build for your chickens. If you are leaving it outside please make sure to keep it out of the rain or perhaps build a roof structure over it. Please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members would be keen to see what the finished dust bath looks like.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects