Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wireless Weather Station Installation

Monument
Building a Reputation

Wireless Weather Station Installation

The rest of the station is inside.The rest of the station is inside.Dedicated indoor console.Dedicated indoor console.The 25mm pipe will be tethered to the central upright with the 40mm above the rooflineThe 25mm pipe will be tethered to the central upright with the 40mm above the roofline

After a lifetime of interest in, and observation of, all things related to the weather, I finally took the plunge and bought a weather station. After research I chose a US made station (https://bit.ly/2jYs3AS - for anyone interested ) which is highly regarded but not available in Oz so have been waiting a month for that to arrive. Finally I have the technology … the parts … the tools … and the know-how (ha ha ha yeah right after 4 trips to Bunnings to exchange diameter pipes etc after changing my mind over rigidity issues). So this weekend it will hopefully all come together and be mounted atop the high point of the gable roof above our deck. Attached are the “before” pics, hopefully I will follow up with some successful “after” pics!

Monument
Building a Reputation

Re: Wireless Weather Station Installation

Bit belated in following up but installation went reasonably well, late in the afternoon of the 4th which was just before the stormy weather set in. The wind was just starting to pick up so as I went from ladder to roof (the pipes via coupling had been glued the day previous and together with the ubolts had copped a couple of coats of acrylic enamel to blend reasonably with the house. As well as the bolts I put 4 7mm cable ties around the base to hopefully ensure no movement from the unit (although it only weighs about 400g it deliberately creates resistance to take it's measurements.

Probably the most difficult/bit hairy/annoying part was having to ensure the unit was facing true north and was level according to it's little bubble window located on it's upper side. The requirements of north is so that it feeds back correct wind direction and the level is for accurate rainfall measurement. Whatever, it's no fun standing on the edge of your roof with your old orienteering compass in one hand and the other making small adjustments to pipe because one affects the other - all the while getting helpful advice from a couple of neighbours ("you got private cover mate?").

Well it's done now and has been feeding back some interesting stuff. It's cool to hear and perhaps feel a strong gust get hold of the trees and to be able to look over and see how strong it was and where it came from. Anyway, the station sits about 16ft above ground level which with the deck facing west. Further, there is a 10m drop from our ground level to that of our neighbours at the back so it is clear air. The data generated by the station is of course available on our console, but is also streamed real-time via internet to wunderlist.com, weathercloud.net and ambientweather.netFinished job with technical adviser in foregroundFinished job with technical adviser in foreground

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects