How to replace backdoor steps?

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

How to replace backdoor steps?

IMG_4919.jpeg

IMG_4918.jpeg

IMG_4917.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

Hey guys, I am planning to build some backdoor steps, the platform is 800mm in height and i plan to use 2x Peak Black 4 Tread Steel Stair Stringer, AnkaScrew™ Screw-In Anchors 10x60 to secure (3 in each stringer), 4x concrete step threads (these are 36kg each) .
Rough total weigh is 154kg for the whole steps, my weight is 100kg. Do you think these steps anchors will hold that weight or seem a bit heavy? 

pictures of steps and stringers*

pictures of current steps *

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: backdoor steps

Hi @bowmatty,

Thank you for your question on the installation of stair stringers.

The best thing to do when installing products is to follow the manufacturers recommendations. Having had a look through the engineering certificate and installation guide for these stair stringers, you have selected the exact product recommended by the supplier for fixing the stringers to masonry. 

It is worth noting that at no point will the whole load be directed to a single point. Stringers are designed to transfer the load outwards, both into the wall and down into the concrete pad beneath.  

Based on the manufacturer's recommendations, I would say these anchors are perfect for your project.

Please remember when drilling into concrete or brick to wear all necessary personal protective equipment including eye protection, hearing protection and a mask.

Let me know if you have any further questions and keep us updated on your project, it would be great to see the finished result.

Jacob

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the reply Jacob. 

I'm considering using either 1200mm steps or the 920mm. 

The door way width is 860mm from wood frame to wood frame. What step size do you recommend i should go buy, the current steps (pictured below) are 1200mm in width? 

bowmatty_0-1714462099112.jpeg

bowmatty_1-1714462229186.png

Let me know what you think? 

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bowmatty 

I'm putting my vote to the 1200mm step, seeing that you already have an existing 1200mm step and are used to it. I'm thinking that the rest of the household occupants are used to these step sizes as well. It would be technically safer, and you won't have to retrain yourself and anyone else in the house that the steps have gotten shorter.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bowmatty
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL @JacobZ ... 

I will start to plan the project and will post some pictures of how i go. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects