Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

convert single into double driveway

Retired1
Finding My Feet

convert single into double driveway

We have a 1930’s single drive that we want to convert to double drive, but the concrete is cracked badly. Also, where the drive will meet

9BDF9B7E-5D68-4D34-9759-9EE284EA9C6B.jpeg

the house, this part of the ground is on a slope.

What would be the best method to fix this situation? What type of retaining wall could I use as well?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: convert single into double driveway

Welcome to the Workshop community @Retired1. Many thanks for your questions.

Could we trouble you for some photos of the current driveway and area to get a better understanding of the situation? A drawing of the area and/or a plan might also assist community members.

If I understand correctly, you wish to have a double drive, but cannot use the current one as it is badly cracked? Would you like to fix the cracks? Again a picture would be helpful to understand the severity of the issue.

Is the whole area the second drive is going to be on sloped, or just where the drive meets the house?

Many thanks again for joining in the discussion. I'm sure our helpful community members will be able to help if you can please provide more details about the project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Michael,

the original post had a photo of the driveway and garden bed fall away.

Yes I would like to convert the single to a double driveway, but cannot work out how to raise the level of the two areas to complete this task. I would also like to fix the driveway, somehow, even it it meant putting up some type of retaining wall and filling with pea gravel etc.

I would like the whole drive to be one level.

Hope this helps.9BDF9B7E-5D68-4D34-9759-9EE284EA9C6B.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Retired1,

Could we please trouble you for some more photos? It is difficult to appreciate what you are working with from that one shot. A few wider photos would be really helpful for community members to see the area and make some suggestions for you.

Many thanks,

Jason

Retired1
Finding My Feet

Portrait 5067.JPGThis image shows the total length of the cracked driveway, which was constructed using River-stone only.

The photo on the left shows a close up of the corner where the water rushes down around the bend. This photo also shows the slope away to the right of the property and this is where a double drive would need to butt up to or be incorporated here.

Portrait5068.JPGPortrait5069.JPG The photo here shows the pathway to the steps to the porch. Notice again the fall away of the earth.

I am seeking possible solutions to convert a single drive into a double drive. I would like the driveway to finish by the brick pillar or close to it, but I still need to have a solution to fix the water run off as well.

Would I need to use a retaining wall of some description?

Could the concrete be patched with an overlay of pebbles?

Looking for suggestions

All suggestions considered.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Retired1.

A couple of solutions to the sloped land would be to either build up or level the area flat.

You could build a retaining wall and then fill until the ground is level. Since this will be a trafficked area on a significant slope it would be wise to have the retaining wall engineered to ensure the construction is suitable for cars.

The other option would be to have the old driveway removed, the land levelled and then concreted. This might be a less costly approached as you wouldn't need the retaining wall. Since the whole area is being lowered you would then need a ramp concreted to access the existing driveway height down the side of the house. If you don't utilise the drive down the side of the house this would make even more sense. I believe the most cost-effective option would be having the area excavated with a parking pad concreted which is two cars wide.  

The water run-off issue will need to be addressed with an Everhard Black Easydrain Flo-way Pit With Grate or Everhard drainage channel and diverted to stormwater. It can be installed prior to the bend where the water starts heading downhill. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects