Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

ground level eko deck

baza
Growing in Experience

ground level eko deck

Hey hello , we are new to the page and looking forward to picking up some great tips. We are going to build a Eko deck just above ground level, there will only be about 2-300mm clearance so what should we lay below the deck to control any water? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ground level eko deck

Hi @baza,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and trust you'll receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our members. 

Are you able to tell us a bit more about the conditions on the proposed site of the deck? What type of soil do you have? Is there any slope? Do you have any problems with water currently? Perhaps you could also share a photo or two?

You might be interested in these previous discussions on the site, particularly the first link:

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
baza
Growing in Experience

Cheers Jason, 

The deck will on fairly level ground as it’s a new home , the ground is your typical w.a costal sandy type as well. Unfortunately until they finish the home I can only go by eye as to the slope which looks minimal, 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the clarification @baza.

@Adam_W, did you make any accomodation for water (or weeds) underneath your timber-free deck? Any recommendations for @baza before he gets started on his deck?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
baza
Growing in Experience

Hey guys , in regards to weeds n stuff I was thinking of using a product called Terra Firma I have used in road construction to control water penatrating the the sub base , it’s like a woven carpet laid down on a base and then sub base is compacted and road base is laid n compacted and up with a solid road surface. I’m unsure if Bunnings carries this product?Using this we should be able to control weeds also make a gentle slope away from the home for any water control. Any advice other than going this way would be appreciated.

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

A mat to control weeds sounds wise but I’m not sure about the road base. Not allowing water to penetrate means it will have to go elsewhere... 

baza
Growing in Experience

Hey Marty, 

I was thinking more like a 7-10mm aggregate n then slope it towards a drain around the perimeter to channel it away. But we are open to all input as we will only get one chance to do it right. 👍

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Sounds like a great approach @baza. Can't see you having any dramas with that. 

baza
Growing in Experience

Hey MartyH,
Cheers mate, Still got 4mths till home is complete so getting things organised now in regards to layout n coverage.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects