Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best paint for over render on internal wall?

kj2801
Growing in Experience

Best paint for over render on internal wall?

I will be either Bagging Brick with a Mortar or a Render and then painting. It's an Internal Wall. What paint is recommended? There is Hydrated lime in the Mortar and possibly in the Render (but not 100% whether Render contains any lime?). What paint is recommended to go over the top? I know Lime Washing is the best choice, however because it's an internal wall I am wanting a product that can be wiped when dirty. The bagging won't smooth the surface which is why we chose it, but we do want a paint that will feel soft/smooth...like an Enamel paint when dried. Any advice? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best Paint for over Render/Mortar

Hi @kj2801,

I'd recommend you use the Dulux Precision Sealer Binder as it's an oil-based prep coat that seals porous surfaces and binds unpainted powdery surfaces like mortar or render. You'll then be free to use your choice of water or oil-based top coats, and I'd recommend any of the Dulux Wash and Wear range. You might consider a semi-gloss if you want a particularly smooth effect, as its surface will be less porous than low-sheen.

Remember that you'll need to wait several weeks for your render to dry fully before undercoating and topcoating.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kj2801 

@MitchellMc   has   a great seal and paint solution post rendering.

But depending  what colours you like  you can add coloured ozide to the render and the colour will be on the house forever no  painting  ever required.

Do your research on renders as there are a whole range of new lt developed polymer  renders that can come in different visual effects that may suit you better.   My knowledge is a little rusty on the detail here so I wont try elaborate further on some thing I havnt recently researched.

I bought a rarer sky blue render oxide powder for my fish pond  base when  i get the that project as an  example.

kj2801
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your reply. Great advice! I didn't think about the wait time between render/mortar and painting/undercoating! I want to build up the mortar joints so they are aren't as recessed. Can mortar be simply added into the space? Will it adhere to existing mortar? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It will adhere @kj2801 and can just be added into the mortar lines; it is best to spritz down the existing mortar/bricks with a water-filled spray bottle. This prevents the existing mortar sucking the moisture out of your new render/mortar and helps it bind to the surface.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hi @kj2801 

We all are not skilled so  be prepared to make a  mess , Mess is ok just review the following clean up advise following

Sorry for later reply yes  simply buy and and cement mix from  bunnings mix up a half bag in a big bucket add water till it is consistany of tooth paste or buy a specialty render mix ( i think a clay additive) to fill the grout gaps and create a  smooth/textured  over the brick surface as  a  top coat and simply push in with your hand (please wear glove as cement will cause a skin layer to peal off)  push the mortar as it is called into the brick groove so it iflush maybe a little proud (It takes time and expertise to use a long  40 cm  steel trowel only for this process ) No  preperation is bonding prep is required as the deep mortar grooves provide great mortar support and is keyed in nicly meaning vertical shear support during setting

You will make a bloody mess of mortar  all over the brick work face this is ok

As you might need a  big bucket of  clean water and a dust pan brush and simply wash the excess over cemented rendered  bricks clean 2 hours later before it sets harder making clean up harder if allowed to dry rock solid and  messy.   Note well any brush and water will alter the final render finish with brush marks so beware of this and clean only outer rendred cement areas to clean them.

A simple water brush clean up will remove excess soft  render and mortar easily i would also follow up with a  very  light fan spray of water for 20 seconds to do a final rinse. The key is not to over do the water use sparingly. Note freash mortar will leech out a trail of mortar mix dont try getting this all as if you keep washing more mortar is  disolved un till you have hole in it.

Have fun make mistakes you will learn faster

Thank you for your reply! I'm not fussed about making a mess on the brick work...I'm trying to achieve an "Old brick look"...I'm wanting the mortar I add to protrude and deliberately smear sections onto the brickwork before painting over the top. I will be sure to have plenty of drop sheets though! I'm super messy when painting/anything really 😆 

Attached are some photos  of what I'm hoping to achieve 🤞 The bricklayers purposely did the mortar so it would protrude as the owners were wanting that "Old Brick" look. The painted pictures show how it turned out 🙂

Screenshot_20231116-104212_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231116-104158_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231116-104343_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231116-104328_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for the update re your project @kj2801

I see now  where your heading and @MitchellMc  paint advice looks good as it will give a smooth  feel finish over a  rough natural looking wall.

I was offering advice for thinker more standard render but some  of the advise still can apply

You wont really need to do a true lime wash as you wish to paint the final wall any how and  a lime wash can produce a patchy effect which is charming to the style but may save you having to  paint at todays paint prices. I just spent $2500 for 3  coats of roof Nu Flex paint guess what I am doing this week end.

Thin render a smear as not to hide brick shapes

So simple sand cement made  to a mortar mix  4 sand 1 cement and you can use 1/2  lime to help make the mortar easier to work with.

The other variable is the amount of water added steadily until the cement mixture consistency  is like soft butter lends it self to swirls on the wall or straight horizontal lines following the  bricks may suit you best.  A drier cement  mix will lend itself to being dabbed on with no flow  effects.

I prefer to try work the pattern on the wall as I apply the mortar. ( I apply a quantity of mortar to the wall spread it out to desired  thicknesses and then add brush effect or sponge effect etc.)  Some call this dry bagging.

Another way to add desired effects is to cover the wall reasonably uniformally  and let  it near dry same day then with a water dipped wet tools as mentioned below wipe away some mortar and create your pattern swirls  horizontal brush marks etc

Ok some specific variable tools tips for wall bagging.  You can use just about any thing to apply cement Hessian bag, soft brush, broom. trowel or a sponge are some examples while applying the cement to the walls you can fill deeper mortar crevices as you wish on the go.

Keep in mind your paint application will also add its own lines if  brushed or  roller or spray painted all varying effects

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects