Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does White Knight Rust Guard enamel paint come with color? Or is it transparent top coat?

joycelee
Finding My Feet

Does White Knight Rust Guard enamel paint come with color? Or is it transparent top coat?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and totally clueless with DIY.  I want to paint over our garage door.  It's currently a yucky reddish color that has faded in lots of parts.  I want to have it painted black, but also I guess I need paint that won't come off when it rains outside etc?

I found this one on the Bunnings website - it says it's anti-rust and outdoor-friendly.  But is it just a transparent topcoat?  Do I need to buy black paint to put underneath first?  It does say "Black (satin finish)" on it though...does that mean it is an opaque black color and I don't need to buy additional black paint?
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/white-knight-500ml-black-satin-rust-guard-quick-dry-advanced-enamel-paint...

Thanks so much in advance.
Joycethe garage door we would like to paint black over!the garage door we would like to paint black over!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does White Knight "Rust Guard"Enamel Paint come with color? Or is it transparent top coat?

Hello @joycelee

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the colour of White Knight Rust Guard.

Thank you for posting a photo of your garage door. Looking at its current condition, I suggest sanding it down with Flexovit 100mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll. This will remove all the old chipping and flaking paint on the door giving you a nice even surface to work on. Remove all the dust and paint flakes off the door with a stiff brush and wipe it down with a clean rag. Wipe the door down with White Knight Rust Guard Solvent Cleaner Paint Thinner - 1L. This removes all the oil and grease on the door and prepares the surface for painting.  

I recommend using White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint. Once the primer is dry you can then paint it with White Knight 500ml Black Satin Rust Guard Quick Dry Advanced Enamel Paint. Although it says no primer required, the conditions are clear that it is only applicable to new or lightly rusted steel. It's better to be safe than sorry, rather than have your paintwork peel off in a few months time. The White Knight 500ml Black Satin Rust Guard Quick Dry Advanced Enamel Paint is a topcoat and black in colour, it is not transparent.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Does White Knight "Rust Guard"Enamel Paint come with color? Or is it transparent top c

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer!  That’s very helpful :smile:

Cheers,

Joyce 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Does White Knight Rust Guard enamel paint come with color? Or is it transparent top coat?

@joycelee I would love to see what this looks like with it's fresh coat of paint, please do post some photos when finished. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects