Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gap between my wall and neighbours wall

Emmy
Just Starting Out

Gap between my wall and neighbours wall

Hi all!

Hoping I can get some advice, as I'm not super handy and have no idea where to start!

The property we built, was required to he built 20cm from the neighbours retaining wall. 

At the time it didn't seem a problem, but now the houses are built the gap is more obvious than we would like.

We are wanting an easy solution to cover / close the gap.

Ideally to stop debris from filling up in the space and from say a puppy from escaping or getting stuck when move it and get a puppy.

I have thought of maybe just hammering in a piece of colour post into each end, which could be removed each year to clear any own in debris, but not sure if this is the best solution!

Screenshot_20221128-140703_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221128-140628_Gallery.jpg

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Gap between my wall and neighbours wall

Hi @Emmy , and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you here.

Congratulations on the new house! That does look like a tricky spot. Having something removable to block it up sounds like a good idea. It would also be nice if it could look nice.

I wonder if you could attach some timber to a couple of metal poles or pickets and then place some pipe in the ground for the poles or pickets to drop into. That way you could simply lift the timber out when you needed to remove it rather than pulling it out and hammering it back in every time.

Is it actually possible to dig in that spot? There aren't any concrete footings in the way?

Let me tag experienced members @TedBear@JoeAzza and @EricL to see if they have any ideas to share.

Brad 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Emmy , I think  Brad's idea of making at least one end removable is a good one.  It would be wise to consult the council to find out what the purpose of the gap is so that you don't inadvertently breach their laws. Is the problem about fire, water, or something else that they are intending to solve with that gap?

Perhaps a vertical length of thick drainage pipe, capped and painted, could be inserted just before the gap, such that a puppy can't fit through. If you mount it via a connector piece to another length set into the ground, it would then be removable.

(Maybe you could also make up a long handled scraper to get into that gap for when you need to clean it? )

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Emmy  both @BradN and @TedBear  have great ideas, I too suggest to check with Council regulations, if you can't dig to mount the pipe, if allowed, you mount a narrow panel with hinges to your side of the house only and latch to the neighbor's side, if agreed to by the neighbor, fixing to one side would allow and structural movement from both dwellings.

Just another thought, seeing that the housing looks new, is there any fencing going to be installed in between the house and garage by the builder, if so, the builder should fill in the gap with the new fence.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Emmy,

Personally, while there is a gap there, I would leave that as it is.

Yes it might seem ugly and a wasted space, but that space needs to be there for building movement on both sides.

When you start to plug gaps like that, if one building starts to subside or move, it will cause problems to the other one that is not moving.

And believe me, all buildings do move to a certain extent, it may not be noticeable for a start, but once it does, it is difficult at best to reverse.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Emmy 

My apologies for the late reply. Just to add my suggestion to the fantastic recommendations made by our members, I propose using an 1800 x 600mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Garden Fence Panel. It's light enough that it can be easily installed and strong enough to withstand the weather and keep puppies out. However, I suggest checking with your local council if you are allowed to put anything between your houses. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of what it might look like once installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

gap house.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects