Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hidden internal door for the library

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Hidden internal door for the library

As I was retrofitting my garage to become a Libary I also wanted to keep access to underneath the house but somehow blend it in.

There is a 1/3rd high brick retaining wall behind the door that may be removed one day if I ever dig out underneath the house. I came up with this idea because of how our eyelines work. I figured what the eyes glaze over we dont see so as long as I keep the lines straight you dont really see the door... It pretty much works :smile:

Materials

Door Flush 2040*820*35 Duracote STPC ( Door )

Lane 100 *75*2.5mm Satin Stainless steel Fixed Butt Hinge

British Pains low sheen White

Dulux Wash and wear low sheen (black)

(Coulourbond Night Sky BK/EB)

Steel stud Channel sinat 76*3000mm steel stud 

Ripped pine 12mm thick for facing.

Metal edging for plastering.

Tools

Circular saw

Screwdriver

Paintbrush

G Clamps

Steps

Step 1

I had to frame up the garage walls and also had the issue of existing brickwork to work around. I had calculated 4 bookcases along the wall and then I had the step in the brickwork to factor in. I thought I could frame out an offset door to do the job. 

01 22-06-2019.jpg

On the rear of the door opening you can see the brick retaining wall and on the right the support piller. Both things that I couldnt shift.

02 22-06-2019.jpg

Framing out the door the tihckness of a bookcase to allow for that support piller.

03 22-06-2019.jpg

A better indication of the jutting out.

07 22-06-2019.jpg

Trying to get a straight line across the floor. The side wall wasnt straight, neither was the rear wall at right angles... It was an interesting time nutting that out.

08 22-06-2019.jpg

Perfect picture showing that step in the support pillar. It was a pain but worked around it.

12 31-08-2019.jpg

Butting in brick screws was an interesting exercise as I made the frame then tried drilling into the wall using the frame as a guide.. In the end I drilled the timber first, then placed it in position and then took it away to drill the hole for the brick screws to fix it to the wall.

13 31-08-2019.jpg

Framed!

14 31-08-2019.jpg

I doubled the header as I messed up when working t out.

15 31-08-2019.jpg

All bolted in place and ready for plastering.

Step 2

Time for adding plaster to the frame around the door (And room) It was a matter of just stepping through the process and making sure things were as square as they should be otherwise they would and did come back to haunt me.

19 21-09-2019.jpg

Ahhh the saw horses :smile: Always helpful. 

20 27-12-2019.jpg

I had plastered small areas before  (1/3rd of a wall) but never a room. and havnt done any plastering for a fair while.

21 27-12-2019.jpg

The width of a bookcase :smile: I was pretty happy with the step.

24 30-12-2019.jpg

Metal edging was a must as I know it will get banged just because its a corner.

26 21-01-2020.jpg

After plastering, well inbetween the final coat and smoothing.

28 26-01-2020.jpg

One of the points I messed up. Yes its as close to the brickwork edge but made it hard to hang the door in the end. Lucky I know a carpenter mate who helped me out. He stirred me yes but solved it for me as well.

29 26-01-2020.jpg

The top plate :surprised: far out it looks clunky now but thats what I did to make it all square and line up.

30 08-02-2020.jpg

Sketches I did to help me visualize it before I started the job

31 08-02-2020.jpg

With steps 

32 08-02-2020.jpg

Final look of the proposed door.

33 08-02-2020.jpg

Door trim added to the inside of the frame.

Step 3

Time to hang the door. I actually paid my carpenter mate to help me as I was extremely nervous to do the job. (I think I could do it myself now... think I could)  The door frame turned out to not be perfectly square from side wall to the door but front to the rear wall it was. The steps were worked out on the fly as I didnt want to loose any of that opening I went high with the placement of the door. I could have ordered a special door through bunnings special orders but didnt have the money/time for it so this was the workaround.

34 08-02-2020.jpg

Cutting the door down to size, I was freaking out if we made a mistake lol But my carpenter mate was confident he could do it with his eyes closed.

35 08-02-2020.jpg

We were sorting out wether to mount the door low or high, I decide on high to maximise the height through the existing opening.

36 08-02-2020.jpg

To show the type of the door so I dont forget, You can never take too many photos.

37 08-02-2020.jpg

To show the location and how to mount the hinges

38 08-02-2020.jpg

Sorting out the steps and heights to fit into that narrow area

40 08-02-2020.jpg

I was finishing off the walls as well at this point but showing the usefulness of the horses and also the placement for cutting timber (There was a question about it somewhere in here)

41 08-02-2020.jpg

Door hung, bottom panel covered. I could have gone plaster but figured shoes could kick when stepping through, so opted for oiled timber the same as the bookcase trim.

43 10-05-2020.jpg

Time for the undercoat for the door.

44 10-05-2020.jpg

In between all this I was dealing with stormwater issues under the house. Thats the only reason the house is tidier underneath :smile:

45 08-08-2020.jpg

Door is painted! and you can see the bookcase to the left. The door will look the same after I finish it

Step 4

Now comes the part where I want thin shelves to stand books on and lean them back to display their covers. I could have purchased ready made ones but that would have added up to around $200. Instead I went down the track of thinking outside the square and using a steel studd for building walls, painting it and then facing it with the same trim as the bookshelves before screwing it to the door. Cost around $40 all up.

47 29-08-2020.jpg

The steel stud being chopped up and painted. I deburred the edges with a metal file.

49 29-08-2020.jpg

Placing a length of facing over the painted stud to see if the idea pans out. It did.

50 29-08-2020.jpg

I had to do a few coats to make sure it was covered. I was using some of the leftover laminate paint for this.

51 29-08-2020.jpg

I also made a few short lengths for the back to back bookcase I had.

52 29-08-2020.jpg

It looks thin but when i tried to flex the metal it wouldnt bend. I figure the weight cant be that heavy to bend on only a 800mm strip.

54 30-08-2020.jpg

Painted black to match the door.

55 30-08-2020.jpg

Finally get to paint the door. I didnt want the whole height as the bookcases are only a certain height so thats the reason for the painters tape.

56 30-08-2020.jpg

:smile: Feeling much happier.

58 07-09-2020.jpg

Putting the faceing timber on, It was harder then expected as the angle of the holes and also drill was a pain. I didnt want the screw heads to show fromn the front.

59 07-09-2020.jpg

Lovethe second and third set of hands!

60 07-09-2020.jpg

The strip screwed to the face. From inside the tray so nothing shows.

61 07-09-2020.jpg

Just to show the width of the facing strip.

Step 5

Last bit was the mounting all these shelves in line with the existing bookshelves. Really it wasnt too hard, just nerve wracking to get right as they would stand out if out of line.

63 07-09-2020.jpg

The shortest screws I could find.

64 07-09-2020.jpg

I really didnt want to strip the timber so I screwed them in by hand.

65 10-09-2020.jpg

I used a washer to give some space to the tip of the screw otherwise it would actually poke through the timber "just"

66 10-09-2020.jpg

Really happy with how they look

67 10-09-2020.jpg

All prepped and ready to go.

68 12-09-2020.jpg

Blank slate to start with... Remember that the top white part of the door is part of the door. It just fooled me into looking at it twice when I posted it!

69 12-09-2020.jpg

I actually cheered when the first one looked as it did!

70 12-09-2020.jpg

All in! It really brought the whole wall together and blended it into the series of bookcases so you dont see it as a door.

71 12-09-2020.jpg

Just showing the few shorter leftover pieces that I used to help tie the back to back bookcases together.

72 12-09-2020.jpg

Door opens nicely and swings so easily.

73 12-09-2020.jpg

Door? Bookcase I say....

74 12-09-2020.jpg

I made sure you could open the door as much as possible.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hidden internal door for the library

Hi @Dave-1 

That door's disguise looks awesome, at first glance it looks like it's just a part of the shelves. But with a closer look you'll see the door handle. But I reckon you won't be able to tell it apart once the books are in place.

Thanks for sharing such an amazing project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Very impressive @Dave-1 

It's a wonderful library area. What do you read?

Can you tell us a bit more (maybe I missed a stage) about the bookshelves, left of the door? Did you build them from scratch?

What trim did you use - right at the top?

Cheers!

Capture.PNG

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Noyade 

The bookcases are retrofitted from ex grey office style ones. I came up with the idea 5 ish years ago and have 4 more upstairs of my own books :smile:

Here is the link to the project Bookcase retrofit to creat a garage libary 

You can go to any of our pages and see the projects we have done. I have a few mostly of gabion walls :smile: lol

I made the trim up myself from two different types I glued together. Garage Lining for stud walls stage 2 there is a stage 1 before this you may want to have a wander through :smile: Hit me up for any questions after you have a look :smile:

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning Dave. @Dave-1 

Thanks for the link to your earlier accomplishment - I'll look through it. Too much to see and read on this site - can't get through it all. 👍

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Noyade 

Know that feeling well :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects