Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove scratches from aluminium framed door?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

How do I remove scratches from aluminium framed door?

Our previous dog gouged deep scratches into our stacker doors out the back, trying to get in when we were out. Tough claws! (Did she use a file?). There are bits of aluminium sticking out at the ends of some scratches. Does anyone know how to get the surfaces smooth again without introducing more scratches! I would like to repaint the frames, but not sure how to to prepare them first. (I have included photo a sample of the scratches.)  Thanks.

IMG_20210703_112435.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove scratches from aluminium framed door?

Hello @TedBear

You have a very strong dog to manage that kind of damage on the aluminum frame. Because of the bits of aluminum sticking out you will have to sand it with a sanding block and fine grade sandpaper between 400 to 600 to get a clean finish. Once it has been sanded and there a no more bits extruding from the surface, I suggest washing it very well with soap and water to remove all contaminants.

I recommend using PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste. It makes an excellent filler and is sandable after it cures. Once you've repaired the finish all that's left is to repaint the frame.

I suspect your dog is after a scratching pad and has found your door frame to be ideal. You can build him one with a piece of 300mm x 600mm MDF panel and glue some sandpaper on it.  Once you introduce it to your dog as a scratching pad they will go to it instead of your door frame. 

Please keep us updated. We look forward to seeing the fixed panel.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I remove scratches from aluminium framed door?

Thanks @EricL , I haven't used that product, nor done any work with aluminium surfaces.  Your  suggestion sounds like a good way to go with it, so I will do that. Hopefully I will have some repair photos to share fairly soon, but will have to wait until the current storms are passed. 

The dog that gouged them is now deceased (natural causes, not related to the door gouging. She was a highly skilled scratcher & communicator of her wants), but those gouges have been annoying me for years and I wasn't sure of how to get rid of them. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects