Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i replace the mesh on a security door that has pop rivets?

bevvy67
Just Starting Out

How do i replace the mesh on a security door that has pop rivets?

The security mesh on my screen door needs replacing. I don’t know how to remove the pop rivets and what sort of mesh I should get to replace the damaged mesh. Currently the mesh is quite stiff and I’m having trouble sourcing something similar. 
IMG_1120.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i replace the mesh on a security door that has pop rivets.

Hello @bevvy67 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about the mesh on your security door.

Since the bottom of the mesh is already torn up, I suggest cutting a section off about the size of three fingers. I recommend bringing this sample to the store and comparing it to the ones available on the shelf. Before you go, I also suggest measuring the size of your door so that you can get the right mesh size.

The pop rivets can be removed by drilling through them with a drill bit. The size of the bit does not have to be very big, but just enough that it removes the center body of the rivet. Once you have all the rivets off you should see how the mesh is fixed to the frame of the door.   

If it uses a rubber spline all that you need to do is remove the spline and the mesh will come off. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to replace a flyscreen by @Tara86. However, if it is attached differently, please post a picture so that our members can assess how its installed.

Once the mesh is put back into place, I suggest using a Craftright Rivet Gun Set. It comes with a set of rivets and odds are one of them might be right size for your door. I recommend practicing with the rivet gun before fixing the door back in place.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects