Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a Grid Connect automation to turn off lights after a set time?

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

How to create a Grid Connect automation to turn off lights after a set time?

Hi Team,

I am trying to figure out if there is a work around for the following automation without receiving notification of failure to execute when turning switch off during timer count down.

What I am wanting to set up is a simple:

Light switch On

Light Globe on

Timer 5 Min

Light Globe Off

The issue is if that light switch is turned off during the count down I will get a notification of failure to execute the Light Globe Off command.

Why do I want this?

The kids leave the lights on all the time so I want them to time out and turn off but if we walk by and switch them off then they are off.

If they carry through the automation  and we want to manually switch them back on we just use 2 sec off the switch back on to turn the Globe back on.

I emailed Arlec and they advised no individual muting notification at this time but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a work around.

Simple automation  chain below.

Screenshot_20220615-164715_Grid Connect.jpg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to create a Grid Connect automation to turn off lights after a set time?

Unfortunately for what ever reason tonight after trialing this morning endlessly and not getting notifications I got one tonight in Tuya the same as Grid Connect grrrr but since I will run these devices separate in Tuya I can turn notifications off for the whole app. 

Defeats the purpose somewhat but will do for the time being 

Re: How to create a Grid Connect automation to turn off lights after a set time?

Thanks for the heads-up on the Tuya app mate.  I'll give that one a look with the globes I have yet to install.  Maybe it will have some options that I haven't seen yet?

Hopefully we can get some traction on either notifications or timers from Arlec.  :smile:

I was finally able to resolve this within Grid Connect with the addition of a Deta smart 3 gang switch. After trying many many attempts of different automations and triggering on and off scenes what I found was trying to Jog to command via off-line / online trigger (static switching) is not stable and it only triggers the automation some of the time. Although I was able to work around the notification issue via switching off automations via enable / disable automations when light off/on the initial trigger was still not stable.

The addition of the Deta smart switch provides constant power and only switches the bulb via enable / disable whilst under wifi command though sometimes I did watch it take up to a minimum to cycle through local to cloud and back again but only about 10%.

So with that I have 3 switches, 2 lights and an exhaust fan.

The main light is set to a 7min timer then turns yellow then another 7min then off this is to tell the kids to get out of the shower.

The second light has just a straight timer for 15min (Auto Off Function)

The third the exhaust fan has 2 triggers 1 is a straight Auto Off for 20min, the second is an Automation that is if the temp sensor I've got next to the shower with the humidity hits greater than 90% the exhaust runs for 20min (I may need to adjust this and or add a light switch into it if it goes off in summer).

But the big kicker is because the switch provides constant power breaking the automation with switching the devices off does not send an automation error like it does with a static switch because the smart bulb is not loosing network.

So this same approach can be applied for energy saving for setting Auto off on switches with the ability to turn them off prior to the timer counting out without notification.

Please note switches must be installed by a licensed electrician which I am fortunate enough to be but I think a write up of switches vs globes may need to be written soon to compare what they can and can't do.

See the automation chains below.

20220804_151501.jpg

20220804_173359.jpg

  

Screenshot_20220804-153246_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220804-161551_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220804-161602_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Screenshot_20220804-161609_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220804-161621_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220804-162124_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220804-172622_Grid Connect.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell

In your opinion does the touch-activated light switch last longer than the rocker-style switches?

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects