Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to draught-proof old sash windows?

Flower22
Just Starting Out

How to draught-proof old sash windows?

Hi there! I would like to get some brush seal or weather strips to stop the draught from these old sash windows. Some have larger gaps than others but all need to update their weather strips as they are quite old and don’t do the job anymore. Any recommendations on which weather 

strip would better suit this type of windows and where I should place it?

Thank you!! Your help is much appreciated.

3757D14A-7166-45DB-B98C-3424E05F259E.jpeg

61D6DF40-E749-44D2-AC7D-19CEEF794D82.jpeg

  

891FD8E6-7899-4772-9657-0EDCA2E6C7AA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to draught proof old sash windows

Hi @Flower22,

You might like to try some Moroday 6 x 7mm x 5m Black MWS8 Self-Adhesive Brush Seal stuck to the back of the inside trim frame. That way, when the window is closed, it should seal the very prominent gap. You could also place some on the bottom of the sill so the window closes on top of it. I've marked the area in the image below.

For the other areas you should try to detect the drafts by holding a piece of tissue paper against the internal frame. If the paper moves in the breeze, you should seal that area. Use a rubber seal to fill the gap, and a wide range of options are available. 

There was a previous discussion on this topic that you could find useful: How to seal and draft-proof a sash window?

Here's a helpful guide: How to Winter-proof your home.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects