Workshop
Ask a question

How to fill gap underneath sliding door?

NewbieDIYer
Just Starting Out

How to fill gap underneath sliding door?

What can I use to fill the gap between the sliding door and floor? 

IMG_4940.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap

Hi @NewbieDIYer,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The easiest solution to cover the gap is to use a draught stopper such as the Adoored Fabric Draught Stopper. Unfortunately, this would require moving it into place each time the door is opened and closed.  

You could install a brushed weather seal such as the Raven RP83 Brush Strip but this would require you to rebate the bottom edge of the door to allow the door to slide into the pocket without the seal hitting the frame. If you wanted to go with this option, I would suggest it is best to contact a carpenter as this will require quite a few power tools and the knowledge of how to remove and reinstall a pocket door, which depending on how it was installed, will likely require you to remove some of the trims.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas: @Noyade, @Dave-1 @Nailbag.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @NewbieDIYer 

Agree as per @JacobZ suggestions. there is this previous article on how to remove a pocket door 

However there are two ways pocket doors are guided centrally at the bottom. One will have a at the bottom of there door frame a plastic guide on each side. But if you can't see these then there will be a central one under the door mounted to the floor or bottom of frame. These run in to a groove along the bottom of the door. In this can you wouldn't be able to fix a permanent brush strip unless you swapped this type out for the 2pce guided one.

It might be simpler to just use a draught sausage?

2 pc guide goes either side of door2 pc guide goes either side of doorScreenshot 2024-04-27 at 10.45.41 AM.pngThis type wouldn't work and would need to be swapped out for the 2pc.This type wouldn't work and would need to be swapped out for the 2pc.This type is less obvious and is floor mountedThis type is less obvious and is floor mounted

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @NewbieDIYer 

I havnt come across anything that would fix that issue other then a draugh stopper as @Nailbag suggests. The Only thing I can think of is to drop the doors height but that will be a large amount of work that I would suggest a capenter be involved with.

If the door has a bottom guide rail potentialy you could have a draugh brush fixed next to it but that would be fine work and involve removing the door. @Nailbag bottom pic show the rail I am refering to, so crossing fingers it looks like that as it would be the best option to be able to screw a draugh brush on one side (not the corridor side)

Dave

Puddin
Building a Reputation

NewbieDIYer

Hi 

You can also fix the  Adoored Fabric Draught Stopper.to the door to save having to move it each time door is opened/closed. This would depend on if the door is a pocket slide or slides along a wall though. 

In the past I have done this by using strips of fabric about 1cm wide wrapped them around the door stop and fastened to the door. Generally you will only need 3 or 4 of these. 

Good luck and hope you have fun with your DYI ing. 

Cheers Ann alias Puddin

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Ok I think I have a simple solution @NewbieDIYer Use this brush seal to fix under the door but to one edge, thus avoiding any central guide rail. Use a normal kitchen as a flat edge to press the seal up under the door since you want be able to get your finders under the door, unless of course you can? No tools are required for this.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 9.33.13 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects