Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix the scratch in Gyprock?

dbase92000
Getting Established

How to fix the scratch in Gyprock?

Hello Team,

When I moved to my new house, the gyprock got scratched when moving the furniture. Can you please let me know how can i repair and fix this ? I have attached some photos for your reference.

scratch.jpgscratch3.jpgviber_image_2021-08-03_17-44-49.jpgviber_image_2021-08-03_17-44-48.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix the scratch in Gyprock?

Hi @dbase92000,

Thanks for sharing photos so members can see what you are working with.

I'd start with sugar soap and see if you can remove the marks. As @prettyliving has previously shared, dry with a cloth as you go to prevent streaking. Jess has also shared other techniques you can try in this discussion: Tips to remove wall marks.

For the scratches I would then try gentle sanding and see if you can get a smooth surface. It's a bit hard to tell how deep your scratches are, but it would be great if you could get a smooth surface without needing filler and following the steps in a repair like this: Patching holes in the wall

I'll also ask @EricL to share his thoughts when he is back on the site on the weekend. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dbase92000

Thank you for sharing your question about how to fix the scratch in Gyprock. 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Jason. I totally agree with his recommendation short of using Selleys 180g Colour Smart Gap Filler. I suggest trying standard cleaning practices such as using Glitz 750ml Spray On Wipe Off along with 3M Scotch-Brite 120mm x 80mm Heavy Duty Scrub Sponges - 8 Pack

However, if you find that the damage is deeper and can't be fixed with regular cleaning you will have to fill in the damage. Before repairing the damage, I suggest taking a paint sample at least the size of a 10 cent coin. You can bring this to the store and get a paint match. Once you have the paint sample, you can proceed to repair the plaster wall. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to patch plaster

If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dbase92000
Getting Established

Thank you Jason. I will give a try and if it did not help will try the one suggested by Eric below.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects