Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-wire table lamps?

AmandaV
Growing in Experience

How to re-wire table lamps?

I'd like to re-wire several table lamps to give them longer power cords. Which power cord should I use? Thanks!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to re-wire table lamps?

Afternoon @AmandaV 

I would suggest to get a licenced sparky to do the job, might cost more but you know it will be done correctly. 

Some things that people may not be aware of when they modify/fix existing table lamps are-

- Earthing, has trhe table lamp been earthed if metal or any part is metal?

- Has the internal cord been fixed in place and has it been twisted around the inside of the stand multiple times?

- Correctly terminating the cable at the power point end.

- Is there an existing inline switch? If there is, mostly I have found that it is not modifable to be able to extend the cord.

- Rating of the wire that is used. (depends on how long you want to extend it)

I am a sparky and have come across a lot of electrical work done by "someone" :smile: and I shudder at what I have seen done. Some things can be worked on by non qualified people other things especially electrical should be treated with caution.

I know its not a tidy answer but short extension cords means that you dont need to worry.

Dave

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AmandaV 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree with his advice regarding rewiring your table lamps. It's best to get a registered electrician to do it. This means that your lamps will be rewired properly and to code. The best part is that your rewired lamps will come with a warranty from the electrician just like when you purchased them originally.

However, keep in mind that some lamps can't be simply rewired as they might have been manufactured in such a way that prevents rewiring. A short extension cord would be the cost-effective solution.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @AmandaV,

How did you get on with this project?

If this is still not resolved, could you please provide us with some photo's of the original table lamps that you want to modify the length of the power cables.

As a registered electrician, I can't see why you couldn't do this yourself, given decent guidance, from myself, if you are happy to go down that track.

There seems to be so much hysteria about people doing their own electrical work, but table lamps are effectively only an appliance that plug into the wall, it isn't like it connects permanently to the wiring, which is where people normally go wrong and that sort of work needs to be done by qualified people.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Mike T.

I agree with @MikeTNZ  100%  about the hysteria  as I am a qualified Electronics technician legal on the other side of the power point.. Thoses who know will do a great job those  who dont know will call for electrical   help.

In Uk  USA and parts of Australia whole houses are wired by owner builders and then signed off by electricians to make it all legal.

But it is also just as easy to buy a short extention lead these days.   I do this it saves time too like Eric meantions.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with whole heartedly with @MikeTNZ  Many have the skills for self help

And I am qualified electronics techo  of 40 years on the other side  of the power point  like Mike on the electrical side.

I think @AmandaV  was just asking which ext lead to use how ever. If  not Amanda just ask a lighting store  how  much to adjust lead  length dont pay more than $50 I dont want them to over price.

But as a general rule If you have to ask how to do electrical  stuff on  a forum  you may not be safe enough to make decent terminations which is a real physical skill twisting the wires together to avoid hot spots and the like with no  fraying loose wire strands for shorts. Skills  can be  gained.

I personally  use short power leads it saves time for that extra reach.

AmandaV
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the feedback everyone (@MikeTNZ and @Jewelleryrescue)

For now, I've done a temporary hack on both lamps. I removed the integrated switches (which were faulty), stripped the wires back to the copper, twisted them, joined the right wires together,  isolated them from each other with insulation tape, and then wrapped them up in insulation tape completely. I have to plug them straight into the socket, but they work and they are totally safe. I wanted to add more wire and a new switch to each lamp but I haven't found the appropriate product at Bunnings yet. It's on my list of things to do.

Thanks - the issue I should have mentioned is that the integrated switch was faulty on both lamps so an extension wouldn't have helped.

Hi @AmandaV 

A  Standard two core  or three core wire with a  switch on the wire to  turn  lamp on. AS  an  example might be of use to you

Olex 2 Core White Electrical Cable - Per Metre I/N: 4430060  $2.52

Olex 1.5mm Two Core and Earth Electrical Cable - Per Metre I/N: 4430075 $3.79

Inline cable Switch might suit your  needs.  Switching the active cable  on/off

HPM Black Cord Line Switch I/N: 4330326 $ 12.89

Jay Car is more electronics  store selling other switch types. you can view them online.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to send me this information to me.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects