Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from concrete paving and steps?

lunagurl88
Just Starting Out

How to remove paint from concrete paving and steps?

Hi ,can anyone out there help, the roughcast foundation has recently been painted and there is white sealer / undercoat,also top coat drips, drops and splashes on patches and steps. 

I have tried wire brushing them off , not successfully  I might add!! However I am hoping one of your community gurus can help me or at least point me in the right direction. 

It will sae my back ,knees ,not to mention sanity.

Looking forward to ideas.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove paint from concrete paving and steps?

Hello @lunagurl88 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing paint from concrete paving. 

Thanks for letting us know that you've tried to use a wire brush to remove the paint. It sounds like the paint has travelled inside the pores of the paver which technically makes it impossible to remove. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the paint droplet that you tried to brush off? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then offer recommendations on how to proceed.

One possible way to strip the paint is to use a heat gun in combination with your wire brush. I suggest putting the heat gun at its highest setting and cook the paint off the paver. It may take a few passes but using this method means that the surface of the paver will not be exposed to chemicals.

Using paint stripper is a double edge sword. It will work and soften the paint enabling you to scoop it off with a scraper. But there is the possibility that it will stain the paver and strip any colours it might have on its surface. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects