Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint a large area where paint peeled back to plasterboard?

muzzabranch_new
Just Starting Out

How to repaint a large area where paint peeled back to plasterboard?

hi i had a piece of lifting ceiling paint about the size of a 20-cent piece after scraping all loose paint this turned into a 3 mtre  by 600   cm piece   how to i repaint to get the whole hallway back to an even paint coating.

i have seen info on small area but not this large. thankyou 

20231202_173952.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: large area of paint peeled back to plasterboard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @muzzabranch_new. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing peeling paint.

I'd recommend you continue to remove the paint from the entire ceiling as there appears to be plenty of loose flaking sections. No doubt, with this much delamination of the paint from the ceiling board, it's a good indicator that the rest will continue to peel by itself and ruin any new paint job over it. I suggest picking up a decent scraper like this Monarch Expertech 5 In 1 Scraper to make the job easier. Once you've removed the remaining paint, you can prime the ceiling board with Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L, and then once it has dried, you top coat ceiling paint. Make sure to pick up a pole roller as they are far more proficient and easier to use than a brush.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects