Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair hairline cracks on ceiling?

sebas
Finding My Feet

How to repair hairline cracks on ceiling?

IMG_3871.jpeg

Hi all I have purchased a house recently and it was freshly painted . After settlement I discovered all these hairline cracks appearing in the cloning for the large living and dining room as you can imagine I am disheartened and seeing about 6 of these - they look like to be along the plaster joint line. One person suggested that the plasterer when they installed the plaster did not  back block- I can’t do this now due to the insulation being the blow loose insulation. What can I do? Is this something I  need   be worried about? Is it just cosmetic or will this come back again and again ? 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: hairline cracks ceiling

hi @sebas 

Happy new  year soon  when your roof  fixed.

Push  gently on the roof and see if it lifts up with broom  head. If there is no real movment the roof  sheeting sercure.  If there is movement you will need to add more gyprock screws to hold the sheet up on all the moving areas. Into the rafters.

Afterwards  use  gyprock  gauze and skim coat the  crack lines  this should  prevent  further cracking

Gyprock CSR FibaFuse Joint Tape  I/N: 0258858  $13.85

Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound I/N: 0173344 $19.10

Use  wide spatula for more uniform compound spread  untill joint tape covered then sand when dry. 24 hours.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hairline cracks ceiling

Some great advice from @Jewelleryrescue there, @sebas.

It sounds like there were existing cracks in the ceiling, and painters covered over them without repairing them. If there are several, it might be worth having a plasterer come in and sand the areas back, apply tape as mentioned, and re-plaster. That should resolve the issue long term. You could do this work yourself, but your repair might be noticeable depending on your skill level. A plasterer will set you back a bit, but they'll likely finish the whole job within a day.

Here's a helpful guide: How to repair a water-damaged ceiling.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects