Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace flyscreens with internal pot riveted tabs?

Jwilliams97
Finding My Feet

How to replace flyscreens with internal pot riveted tabs?

IMG_8738.jpeg

IMG_8737.jpeg

Hi

I need some advice on how to replace my fly screens. I have done this many times on other houses however this one has a pot riveted internal tabs that sits over the channel where the spine goes so I’m slightly at a loss. Other than drilling out the rivets, any suggestions? And if I drill them out can I reuse the same tabs or will I need to get new tabs?

Thanks in advance 

Jane

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Replace flyscreens with internal pot riverted tabs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jwilliams97. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing flyscreens.

Looks like the only option would be to drill out the pop rivets. It's a bit of an annoying design really, but you'll be able to reuse the tabs again, as it shouldn't damage them.

For a refresher and for those other members coming across this discussion, here's a helpful guide on How to replace a flyscreen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your help. I ended up drilling out the pop rivets and replacing the fly screen successfully. As I had all the tools out and set up I ended up doing all the screens on the house all in one go (they were almost 20 years old and did look a bit weathered and tatty). Took all afternoon but they all look great, all clean and new. Amazing how much difference they can make. 
thanks again. 
Jane

That's great to hear, @Jwilliams97! Many thanks for updating us on your success.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects