Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace glass panels next to front door?

DarylS
Growing in Experience

How to replace glass panels next to front door?

Hi all, 

I'd like to replace the 6 pieces of frosted glass nearest my front door with one long piece of reeded glass (removing the trim timber between panes). 

What I'd like to know is, can I remove the transverse timber piece ?noggin about a 1/3rd of the way up? So i end up with one long rectangular piece of reeded glass in place beside the door. IMG_3571.jpgIMG_3572.jpgIMG_3585.jpg
Could I take a Recipro saw and cut through it nearest the longitudinal beams, then patch, sand and paint before installing glass? 
My concern is if the transverse noggin is acting as a structural brace for keeping the longitudinal piece from bowing then perhaps it would need to stay, but is there a way to know if it too is also decorative or if it is serving a structural purpose? 

Many Thanks, 

Daryl

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Glass sidelight front door querie

Hi @DarylS 

One of the reasons your glass has been divided into six sections is for safety. Should anything happen to hit any of the six panels only one panel will need to be replaced and not the entire set. The same can't be said for a single piece of glass.

However, it is possible to replace the six panels with one large piece, but I suggest speaking to a local glazier and asking them how thick the glass needs to be so that it will be self-supporting and if you need to use safety glass. The current timber frame will need to be modified so that it holds the single glass piece in place. 

The horizontal timber beam is definitely there to support the vertical frame of the door. Should you decide to remove it, another form of support must be put in place. I recommend thinking about building a large rectangular steel frame to reinforce the timber frame. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Glass sidelight front door querie

@DarylS , I agree with @EricL

re cross section timber support, I also think you may need to install toughened glass, especially bet a front glass panel, speak to a glazier to see if it can be done

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to replace glass panels next to front door?

Evening @DarylS 

Just reading through the question and comments, I was wondering if you could actually replace the support post for the door. that way you would do away with the need for that noggin. As @EricL suggests a glazier first to find out what type of glass and then yourself or a capenter to replace the post. 

I watched my carpenter mate install two doors for me and was still nervous of a third door frame (even tho Id framed it myself) The next door I intend to do myself :smile: Maybe ask the glazier for different prices? Glass alone, fitted glass and fitted into new frame?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects