Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would you remove this screw?

Ari
Having an Impact

How would you remove this screw?

I’m removing kitchen cupboards, which have all been easy except this wall cupboard! It’s a small flat head screw surrounded by hard plastic. The indentation is quite shallow and it’s very tightly screwed in.  

Neither my electric or manual screwdriver can gain enough purchase to turn it. I’m happy to damage the cupboard but not the wall behind it. 

What would you do? 

All thoughts welcome! Thank you. 

1A26E19F-7BE4-4A6C-A6F0-F72B0D07A884.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would you remove this screw?

Hello @Ari

Thank you for sharing your question about the screw in your cupboard. The screw you are looking at is called a Ramset 6.5 x 50mm Mushroom Head Nylon Anchor. If the nail was tapped in rather than screwed in there will be nothing for the threads to hold onto when trying to unscrew it. I suggest using an Irwin 175mm Vise Grip Curved Jaw Locking Pliers or similar to try and grip the head of the nail and pull it out.

Unfortunately, you'll have no choice but to damage the plastic mushroom head of the nylon anchor. But once you have a good grip on the nail head, you should be able to pull the nail out.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ari
Having an Impact

@EricL you are amazing!

My dad was a carpenter and could answer these questions for me, but since he passed away I have no one to ask.  I'm so grateful for your advice!

Thank you,

Ari

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ari

Please keep us updated on your progress. If you run into any other issues while trying to remove the nail, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects