Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jagath
Just Starting Out

Electrical wirirng

I am an electrician .

I would like to help you.to do  electrical designing,  wiring, connection, disconnection and testing and clarify regulation issues.

Thank you,

Jagath

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Electrical wirirng

Hi @Jagath,

Many thanks for introducing yourself. I’m sure our community members will appreciate getting electrical advice for their projects from you. We are looking forward to seeing your posts soon.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Welxome,

Jason

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

@TempestSkye7

Welcome to the community.

I too have similar ethics about gardening but I'm fairly sure now I have more live plants than dead ones finally, not equal ha-ha, albeit I tossed out a succulent today that I must have overwatered and replaced it with a new type and hope to have better luck.😆

Apart from helping hubby build our forever home over the last 11 years, I'm not into any serious woodworking but I can lay fame to a couple of things including having repurposed an old book shelf into not one but two storage and hanging shelves this was actually cutting and screwing together which I;ve never done before.

Oh and I pullled apart a beautiful redgum table, sanded it and re polyurethaned it all and used liquid glass on the top and also completed a redgum burl table with liquid glass too.

100_3323.JPG100_3096.JPG100_3102.JPG100_3309.JPG100_3302.JPG

Re: Electrical wiring - dangers

As an electrician. Giving advice to ordinary members of the public on 240 v mains electrical wiring is fraught with danger. By law It also needs to be carried out by a licensed electrician. I personally would not give advice (other than, use a licensed electrician) because I would not like to think that I was partly responsible for someone being injured or electrocuted.

@Gambler 

I think electrical advice is fine providing there is no suggestion to carry out works and I don't believe there was any mention of giving people first hand step by step instructions to carry out any DIY.

There are allot of questions one might ask an electrician without suggesting to do anything one's self.

Of course at the end of the day an electrician should be called to cary out any repairs etc...

People might want to know things like: I have an idea, can it be done or how much should I expect to pay for something etc...??

r23on
Amassing an Audience

First off in the state of Victoria only a licensed electrician is permitted to fit off any electrical fitting. 

Second all electrical work carried out must be signed off by a licensed contractor and a certificate must be issued by said contractor. The certificate is the guarantee of work carried out. That contractor is responsible for the life of the work.

If any work carried out without the certificate is deemed to be illegal and to top it off your insurance coy WILL NOT pay out if any thing goes wrong ie. fire, electrocution and so on

As a former teacher in the electrical electronics the regulations are very clear. If I am not mistaken the reg's are Australia wide / NZ

Should anyone bought here are the links to the regulation http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/PubStatbook.nsf/93eb987ebadd283dca256e92000e... 

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/PubStatbook.nsf/93eb987ebadd283dca256e92000e...

https://esv.vic.gov.au/technical-information/electrolysis-mitigation-and-cathodic-protection/legisla... 

In short all electrical work must be carried to by a licensed electrician and signed off by a licensed contractor

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good discussion @r23on@Baretta11 and @Gambler, many thanks for your input. 

I would like to reiterate that Workshop members should always use a licensed electrician for any electrical work. Don’t ever undertake electrical work yourself or use a tradesperson who is not licensed. 

As per our terms of use, we will remove content from the site that is in breach of any laws. 

Thanks again,

Jason

NighthawkNZ
Finding My Feet

Just an Introduction

Kia Ora everyone.

A newbie to this site, but not really a newbie woodworker/maker. I didn’t even know this community existed... But I thought just a quick introduction would be prudent.

I have been making stuff since I was knee-high to a grasshopper and that was a long time ago in the time before time. (actually I am only 51 so not that long ago... :smile:

So I’m from the south, in the city of Dunedin, NZ and have a small basement workshop under a 104 year old house. The basement is only partially usable and only partly developed but it is where all the magic happens. And much of the floor is not even concretted... (just a small section has been done.

I love using my hands to make stuff, from jigs to small projects, to renovating on house. At present we are in the middle of re-cadding the exterior which is a huge job but doing it small steps... I have made steampunk to fine woodworking and I will use any material I have laying around. Much of the wood and material I use is either recycled and or just given to me.

I have a blog and a small growing youtube channel where I show how I make various things. (Wacky Wood Works... not sure on the rules about posting links to youtube channels etc...) There is also various tips and tricks, safety advise and some fun and pretty simple projects to the more complex projects. I also try to put some humour in some of the videos and a little more serious in others...

The channel is there to inspire others to go and make something... and it is cool seeing what other people make...

NIK_0099.JPG
Part on my basement workshop

I usually give any project a go big or small, but also humble enough to ask for help when needed and give help/advice back if asked.

Regards

Nighthawk.NZ

Re: Just an Introduction

Great to have you join us @NighthawkNZ. You'll find plenty of experienced woodworkers here in the community. I trust you'll enjoy joining in the discussion, sharing your experience and knowledge, and getting plenty of inspiration from other members. 

We are really looking forward to seeing some of your creations. Feel free to also share YouTube videos if you feel they would be of interest to our members. They can be directly embedded in your posts.  

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Welcome,

Jason

Re: Just an Introduction

Thanks...
I will help and answer questions where I can, we all had to start somewhere... 

For those that are interested, my youtube channel can be found here Wacky Wood Works  There is over 100 videos of various things 

Regards
Nighthawk

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects