Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Thanks @StevieB - I’m going to a 3 day Mosaic workshop this weekend and am very excited to see what I can produce so stay tuned for some more photos! 😁

Re: Newbie Introduction To Community

@MosaicsBabe 

Hi there,

Love your mosiacs, absolutely outstanding.

I decided to do some mosiacs myself a few years ago on a pretty large scale and had allot of trouble getting any helpful information mainly because of the substrate I was using which was steel, not used at all I found out after fruitless searching, so eventually I did what I thought was right based on some helpful information from Bunnings team members regarding glue etc...

I've attached two pics of my work, one a bird bath 1200mm in diameter and the other a street sign, or my sculpture as I call it, not sure but I think it's about 1800mm in diameter.

I loved the challenge of using the steel and leaving it rusty in places that wasn't being tiled and whilst not everyone might like my finished article, as with any art, I think if one likes their own work first and foremost, it's a bonus if others like it too.

The story behind the two pieces of artwork is that the birdbath is the centre piece that was cut out of the one large piece of steel with the inner piece becoming the birdbath and the outer piece becoming my sculpture. The centre piece of the sculpture was another piece of offcut steel I saw one day in the shed and I knew instantly it would fit inside the hole and I had hubby attach the inner piece with large chain. I finally got the sulpture finished about 2 years ago and the birdbath was a few years before that.100_3289.JPG100_3295.JPG100_3416.JPG

Those are incredibly impressive, @Baretta11! I'll stick to small mosaics as I have nowhere near enough patience to complete something of such magnitude. Out of interest, what type of glue did you end up using?

Many thanks for sharing this amazing work.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the kind words.

You know I'm not a mad keen artist or mosiac buff but once I knew what I wanted to do I just gave it a go.

To memory the glue was bond something or other or something bond, a milky glue, easy to use and just after I'd finished the project I was told I should have used something else but too little too late ha-ha.

I needed a glue that would be ok under water given this is a bird bath but so far so good. The edge of the steel is showing signs of rust but I can't do anything about the now and I think this will still last for many years to come.

Cheers,

Barbara

@Julieg9426, that sounds like a lot of fun!

How was it? I'll be keeping an eye out for those photos.

Stevie

navycoo_1
Just Starting Out

cooky

Thank for letting me joiny users. Cooky1

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: cooky

Wonderful to have you join us @navycoo_1.

Feel free to share more about yourself and what your plans are for around the house and garden, or hit Start a discussion to get help with your project. We're here to help.

Stevie

bobbob
Just Starting Out

House

Hello

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: House

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bobbob.

It would be great if you could edit your first post to let us know how we can help with any projects at your place.

Please let me know if you'd like any help.

Stevie

querencia
Building a Reputation

Hi there,

I'm Querencia and I live in Albany, WA.  I've been reading many discussions on here and gleaning lots of helpful tips, especially in the garden threads.  My front, back and side yards need to be landscaped and I have drawn up plans for so many projects... there's so much I don't know and I do get scared of making mistakes and ruining things.  I try to research as much as I can and tell myself that I've just gotta learn how do them now.  I'm trying to do everything by myself.  Last weekend I even taught myself how to use a lawn-mower for the first time and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I like repurposing things so I've amassed quite a collection of pallets, bricks and timber off-cuts which I plan to use in the garden.  I'm currently slowly creating a 35m chook tunnel out of scrap timber, garden edging and cable ties. I'm here to learn!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects