Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dingodudette
Cultivating a Following

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Hi all,

I'm a carer for an elderly relative and am looking after his 70's brick home.

I've completed a few big projects, the most recent of which was the repainting of the balcony.

Currently looking at building some raised garden beds along the eastern side for him to potter in, so I'll have some questions I'm sure!

I look forward to being a part of this community and hopefully have some tips of my own to share.

Thanks for introducing yourself @dingodudette. Welcome to the community.

It sounds like you've been very busy. It would be great if you could share some of the projects you've completed.

Here's a few posts that might be of interest for your garden beds:

I look forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the community.

What you are doing for the young local kids sounds like a very passionate and admirable thing to do, to keep these young ones of today off the streets and away from being in contact with the wrong people also in the same streets in every town, big or small.

Young people can have so much to offer if they are allowed to contribute equally with adults alike and not being told they are to shut up and listen, which at times is often what can disillusion them!!

When young children are nurtured to follow an interest or passion, it can be the best thing ever!!

Best of luck with the future DIY's

Cheers,

Barbara

@Easty,

You sound just like my dad, sadly gone now but he was always helping us, his children with building mainly. My dad was my hero and I'm sure your children hold you in high esteem!!

I would love to see you 'start a discussion' on teaching readers to buy and train a bonsai. I would just love to have a bonsai, my biggest goal in life still. I have come to the understanding that these plants cannot live inside for any length of time, which I originally thought I could do with one but none the less, I would be so pleased if I could have someone who has probably had the successes and failures to help a newbie like me, many newbies perhaps, to successfully grow and shape a bonsai.

Actually have officially scored a black thumb with two orchids already and I love gardening and usually have a relatively green thumb usually and have a girlfriend with no gardening knowledge with a beautiful orchid in flower for several weeks and it grew and flowered perfectly, so annoying but I was genuinely happy for my friend ha-ha

Looking forward to what you might share with the community.

Cheers,

Barbara

@dingodudette,

I have slightly raised garden beds but not the super easy really nice "no bending" beds.

I'm sure your aged relative will love them.

Hope the workshop community can help you with the plans you have underfoot and look forward to hear about the projects you have already completed!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

G'day @Easty Pete, as a fellow retiree & dabbler, I'm very happy to have you onboard. I love gardening too, but I've chosen the easy road, & grow natives.

I've just taken 2 days to trim & mulch 3 shrubs, so I might be 1 up on you in the aging process. :bigsmile:

I read about Bonsai as a kid, & loved the idea, so I'll be keen to hear your story.

Got a good laugh from your mystery wraps name, everyone loves a good mystery. :wink:

Easty
Getting Established

Many thanks for your kind welcome. I have dabbled with both orchids and bonsai for many years and, believe me, have had a number of failures in both.  The one thing I have learned is to start slow & with plants that aren't too fussy. Cymbidium orchids are pretty tough - plenty of sunshine and not excessive water and feed them especially when they are growing usually after flowering. I've hopefully put a photo of one of my native Sydney Rock orchids - not to show off but as encouragement!  It's probably 10 years old if not more. The perfume from it is divine! Just like honey. Unfortunately the flowers will soon be past for another year & I will have to carry it out the back again which will just about kill me as it weighs a tonne!

For bonsai, I would recommend either trident maples or Port Jackson figs. The latter especially are almost indestructible and can survive a few days without water.  Bonsai are however pretty demanding in summer. They need watering every day & sometimes twice if it's a real stinker! IMG_0873.JPG

Easty
Getting Established

Thanks for your welcome.  

I don't reckon natives are any easier than traditional garden plants. They still need tending and require skill & knowledge to get right just like other plants. Lord knows, I've killed a few native plants in my time the latest probably was a bonsai banksia the kids gave me a few years ago!  

Cheers

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Hi @dingodudette, welcome to the wonderful Workshop community. :bigsmile:

With your caring nature, & skillset, you're set to be a top contributor, & I for one, am looking forward to your posts & updates.

@Easty

Hi Peter,

Thankyou for your magnificent photo.

I really only want one, preferably "LIVE" Bunning's orchid that I can showcase when in flower and living on a property allows me plenty of overwintering spots to place the orchid when not in flower. I just need to know how on earth to keep it alive!!

The Bunning's label said, no drafts, water fortnightly under the tap and drain completely before returning inner pot to outer pot. Did that and it begun to slowly die, one leaf at a time, so then I thought, ahh!!!.....too much water, I have had cacti that I have killed from under watering, I know what to do, I must have overdone it, so then no water for a month and it continued to die, and I simply couldn't win!!!

As for the bonsai, when my home is complete and I can offer such a plant my undivided attention rather than it being inbetween paint coates ha-ha.....I will keep a lookout when I'm next in Melb to go to a nice place I once visited there and I'll see if I can by a very immature or young plant without it costing me a kidney ha-ha.....and if you don't mind, I might need some help from time to time.

Cheers,

Barbara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects