Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Definately .. a "Sanga Sandwich" .. nothing like it!  Of course has to have fried onions!

Hi Annette,

My, you have certainly been on a journey of ups and downs and came out with flying colours by the sounds of it!!

I was briefly unwell due to food poisoning (kfc) all up I somehow lost 3 weeks of my life and although it pales in comparison to your health scare, it certainly changed my perspective on life too, definitely no more kfc:giggle:

I love you story about your life changing and vegie patch experience, unfortunately my vegie patch suffers this time of the year, as we are the busiest during Sept-Dec and although I start well, it doesn't end well as I'm simply too busy to be picking beans etc...

This year due to the extremely wet conditions, I haven't grown anything and worst of all, my strawberries have all died from drowning in a raised bed no less, I've had them so long and re-sowed runners every year but not to be deterred after reading your uplifting story, I will renovate the beds, add some fresh soil and start again:wink:

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Barbara

Thanks @Baretta11 - greatly appreciated.

I still have another serious operation to look forward to possibly next year for another condition which was discovered when I was having scans in hospital - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  :crazy:

Best of Luck with the strawberries. I had some tonight for dessert - mmmmmmmmmmmm.

If you think you will be too busy from September to December to invest much time in the vegie patch why not just concentrate on a single tomato plant in a container near the back door etc.- it only has to be a cherry tomato of the small bush variety. That way you still get the satisfaction of home grown veg without biting into your busy schedule. I can appreciate your comment about the time it takes to pick beans etc. - every day it takes me about 30 minutes just to pick my strawberries, another 30 minutes to pick the peas and snow peas and so on.

Sorry to hear about the KFC food poisoning - I haven't had KFC for about 20 years, but then again I don't have fast food all that often either. I make my own Chinese meals at least twice a week and I even wrap my own wontons etc. Tonight we had San Choy Bau and tomorrow night I am making Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup and Crispy Chilli Beef with special fried rice. I have learnt so many delicious recipes by watching YouTube that I have now given away all my hard copy recipe books and now refer to my internet recipes.

Till next time, take care.

Hi Annette,

Gosh that's not good news about another big op!!

You seem to be very positive about it and that is a good way to be.

Tomatoes, in a pot ha-ha

I eat tomatoes but don't love them and have so much pepper on them to consume them, that I will have officially clogged up my arteries from the pepper!!

All jokes aside, I get what you're saying about having something simple.

Unfortunately, last year was so dry, our dam got too low and the pump wouldn't bring water to the house for the garden, so there was no chance of having vegies and was even forced to use tank water to keep some of my ornamental plants alive!!

This year was and is so wet still, the dam is full, so that is outstanding but had no time to plant vegies with it raining every other day, also being sick those 3 weeks, saw the weeds try to take over our property and I have just about got to it all with roundup, with some of the weeds in places nearing 1mtr high!!

Only just got the mowing under control today as a matter of fact, as we're either in tractors for umpteen hours a day being hay contractors or it's raining AGAIN!!!

We are also building our dream home when we can steal away a few minutes here and there, so finding any other time to do anything else is pretty slim right now.

I have accepted it seems far easier to buy the vegies and some fruit we want to consume from a good local fruit shop in the town.

We have however, 17 fruit trees that we are very proud of, so we do enjoy some home grown fruit albeit not much last year.

Best be off, must be up early for repairs before baling again for most of the day.

Take care and cheers,

Barbara

jaga
Having an Impact

Hi there,

My name is Jamie and I've just found this website/group.. I thought i'd join for two reasons, a) to encourage me to start (and finish) all the small projects around my house/garden and b) to get feedback on each, to hopefully get the best result possible..

I bought a 1950's house about 18months ago, and i've started doing making a few improvements inside and out.. Currently, I'm replacing the kitchen, which includes removing a small dividing wall and incorporating the dining room and kitchen together, i'm also attempting to overhaul the gardens, in an attempt to moderize the appearance of the house.. This includes a new front deck, replacement of a number of plants and general improvement of the garden layout.

Hope to post soon..
Jamie
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

A very big welcome to Workshop @jaga. It's great to have you join the community. Many thanks for introducing yourself. I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from other community members.

I also live in a 50s house and love it. They usually have fantastic "bones" and great scope for renovation. Here's what we did in our kitchen and bathroom. It sounds like you are planning something a little similar to what we did in our kitchen and family room area. Removing the dividing wall sounds to open up the area sounds wise. Good luck with it. 

I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. I would also be great to see some photos. You might like to start a new discussion and ask for some feedback. 

Jason

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Hi Jamie,

Nice to have another member, what state are you in?

You are attempting some huge projects and I hope you are happy with the end results!!

The kitchen in a home I think is always the most expensive, followed closely at times by a bathroom reno.

Hubby and I are currently building our dream home and it will be the kitchen that take the longest to afford at about $30,000!! Rather frightening even how much a "kit" kitchen can cost.

It sounds like you have "jack of all trades" skills much like my husband doing reno's both inside and outside.

We just recently completed the septic system (rural) and laid the power cable to our door and we too are so proud of what we have achieved having done everything ourselves that is permissable.

Look forward to you progress and completition photo's.

Cheers,

Barbara

Love it how you always say hello to new community members @Baretta11. I'm sure @jaga appreciates the warm welcome.

Also, congrats on the progress at your place. Looking forward to hearing more soon.

Jason

JoshRaf
Building a Reputation

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Josh and I’m from Melbourne. I work in marketing but have a strong interest in DIY. I grew up on the Peninsula on acreage but am now living in a small city apartment so I do what I can to make the most of my limited space. 

I've done plenty of work as a labourer on construction sites, factories etc and have always tried to be handy around the house but as I don’t have any trade qualifications, I am a strong believer in improvisation so take any of my posts/advice with a grain of salt. 

Lastly, I am a proud Collingwood supporter so get around me!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to have you as part of the Workshop community @JoshRaf. Many thanks for introducing yourself and for recently sharing some of your handiwork. I'm sure your efforts to make the most of limited apartment space will inspire other community members.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects