Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New desk - simplest thing I've ever made

robchin
Becoming a Leader

New desk - simplest thing I've ever made

I have been working at home now for about 15 months and my home office was very difficult to work in with 2 smaller desks. I finally got sick of it. Went and bought a Specrite timber panel from Bunnings and a couple of Rapidmesh Table Legs and an hour later - transformed the space. Simple, easy and ended up being very good value compared with buying a desk that size. 20210702_134559.jpgtimber panel.jpgtable legs.jpg

Re: New desk - simplest thing I've ever made

Hi @Benni85  Nothing I have on it is heavy but honestly - I could put an old fridge on it and it wouldn't bow. The way the panels are made makes them very strong. 

cmac_1987
Getting Established

Hey @robchin! Chris Mac here.

Did you end up coating the desk top at all? If so, what product did you use and how did it come up?

I'm planning on copying your project very soon 😊

HI @cmac_1987 

Not initially but I did after a couple of weeks. Concerned about drink spills marking it. I ended up using a water-based matt finished clear varnish. Cabothanes from Bunnings. https://www.bunnings.com.au/cabot-s-1l-water-based-matt-cabothane-clear-polyurethane-varnish_p152040...  

cmac_1987
Getting Established

Thanks @robchin. Came out great 🙂 Two workstations for the price of one.

I pushed the outer legs towards the edges and added a centre leg to give two distinct work areas.

20210912_160954.jpg      20210912_185315.jpg

Well done @cmac_1987 , Kooks very good. Looks like we got our stand-up desk and floor mats at the same place as well :smile: What's next project? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects