Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Table paint

edensun
Just Starting Out

Table paint

The below table due to received sun and caused surface paint color change and rough, so i want to re-painting, can i use oil base oil. Would you recommend which brand and oil to use? Thank  you !

微信图片_20201106132916.jpg微信图片_20201106132924.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Table paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @edensun. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If the surface is rough I would advise sanding it until smooth and the sun damage is not noticeable anymore. I'd suggest starting with Flexovit 115mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll and then finishing off with Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll

Once the table is smooth to the touch you can apply an oil-based clear coat. A product similar to Cabot's Oil Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Varnish would be suitable. 

Let me mention some of our expert woodworkers @woodenwookie, @r23on and @Poppop to see if they have any other recommendations.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Table paint

I think you need to take a step back and have a good look at the surface and work out what is already on it. If a varnish has been used I would use an ordinal sander 80 grit remove all the top coating follow up with 150 grit then 240 grit and 320 grit. Using 240 grit first up, it will clog more quickly, hence  using a lot more sanding materials. Once you have reached the 320 grit and you think you have finished clean the table down with a rag and metho. This will raise the fibres in the grain then light sand for the best finish. do not use water to wipe the table down as the water will soak into the table and may take days to dry out, the metho evaporates quickly  and within 1/2 an hour you can apply any coating you wish

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects