Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Who to call for a leak or rising damp?


Who to call for a leak or rising damp?


I’ve discovered our skirting board and plaster is damp, smells musty and paint is starting to peal off. 

we know previous owners experienced water damage in same location due to a leak from the adjoining Town house 3+ years ago. However this is definitely new moisture. 

however, due to the location it’s also possible to be rising damp from my research .

who would you call first? A plumber or a damp specialist ? 



Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: leak or rising damp? who to call

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @murphymazz12. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question about which tradesperson to contact.


I'd suggest that if this is an unresolved or reoccurring issue, then it might be wise to get employ the services of some type of specialist. Is this a plaster over brick wall? If it's a solid brick wall, it will probably require moisture detecting equipment to track down the source of the moisture. If it's a plaster over a timber frame, it will be relatively easy for a plumber to cut out a section of plaster to investigate the leak.


Calling a plumber might be the best option, as they'll likely have detection equipment on call and can repair leaking pipes. A damp specialist will be great at isolating the area from where the moisture is coming from, but not necessarily be a plumber able to fix the pipes. Call a plumber first to inspect and he'll let you know if a more specialized service is needed.


Please let me know if you have any questions.




See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects