Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my cornice bubbling?

Stephanie4
Just Starting Out

Why is my cornice bubbling?

Why does cornicing bubble like this please?

2024_03_21 9_06 am Office Lens~2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my cornice bubbling?

Hello @Stephanie4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your cornice bubbling.

It's possible for one reason or another that the paint has lifted off the surface of the cornice. Perhaps it's paint failure or poor preparation of the cornice surface that has caused the paint to lift.

I suggest doing a little bit of investigation and trying to remove the peeling paint with your hand and see how far the damage extends to. I also suggest feeling the surface of the cornice once the paint has been removed. If the surface is dusty odds are no primer was used on its surface and the paint has lifted away.

In order to repair it, the peeling paint must be removed and the cornice lightly sanded. The cornice surface must be wiped down and be clear of dust and debris. A primer is then applied to the surface before putting a topcoat on.

If you are using a ladder, I suggest reading this guide - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my cornice bubbling?

Hi @Stephanie4,

It's great to see that @EricL has already provided advice. I thought I'd also chime in and mention that, quite often, this type of paint delamination can be caused by moisture-related issues and potentially a roof leak. So, once you remove the compromised paint, if there is any dampness, I'd encourage you to enlist the services of a professional to try to track down the source of the damage.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects