Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wiring tip to add hardware ethernet around the home

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Wiring tip to add hardware ethernet around the home

Talk to the IT pros and they'll always tell you one thing about networking - when you can stick a plug in, do it!
A cabled connection will always be faster, more consistent and more robust than wi-fi.

As we have been renovating we've hardwired ethernet into all of the areas where high demand devices are going to live - computers, TVs, media streaming units, games boxes, docking point for laptops etc.
This costs very little extra when you are wiring as you will always want outlets close to power anyway so the sparkie just runs the extra cable & sets the plates.
Ideally you need this to all come back to one point so in one of our cupboards I designed the communications hub...
The cupboard was made with extra ventilation in top & bottom for convection cooling.
The wall plates lead to the various outlets and I found a supplier that does ethernet cables in 10 different colours allowing me to colour code at input & outlet side. Much easier than just numbering.
As our modem only has a few outlets I then had to add an ethernet hub or switch.
A bonus of this set-up is out wi-fi range is now much greater as this cupboard is high set and close to the centre of the house.
The Philips box on the right is a Hue hub/bridge for all of our smart lighting and the range of that is much better now too.
Also a heck of a lot neater than having a jumbled mess of cables on top of the fridge as is all too often the case.

IMG_0503.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Wiring tip to add hardware ethernet around the home

Hi @Matt_M,

Usually what I've done with any sort of fan in a residential Connections enclosure, is use 100mm ducting (like the type you'd use for a fart fan), out through the soffit of the house, because it is constantly open (unless the fan fails) you don't need a baffle on the fan, but I would suggest you have one anyway.

You also have to allow a vent in the bottom of the enclosure for fresh air getting in, otherwise it isn't going to work at all, you should also have a foam filter element in there that you take out and clean every 10 days during winter, every 5 days during summer.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects