Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advise please - for a small laundry reno

Sarahb
Getting Established

Advise please - for a small laundry reno

Hi everyone,

Just bought a new place and want to have a go at my first reno job!

I have  laundry with nothing but a freestanding trough. Wanting to have bench space plus cupboards. I have done a sketch of what I am thinking but thought I would ask other more experienced people if it would work! 

Length of alcove is 170cm. Width (out to be in line with existing linen press) 59.5cm. Want at least 87cm height for bottom cupboards to fit a frontloader washing machine under the bench. 

Attached some photos :smile: 

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreaciated. 20200221_184005.jpg20200221_184018.jpg20200221_184032.jpg20200228_142845.jpg

kb54
Finding My Feet

Re: Advise please - for a small laundry reno

hi sarahb, can you please give me measurements of the wall behind the washer and laundry sink from the cupboard , also does the sliding door open from the left or from the washing machine side. cheers kb54

Sarahb
Getting Established

Hi there @kb54 . 

That is the 170cm measurement. 

Sliding door opens on other side. Not near washing machine. I don't use this door so happy to put cupboards blocking it. Obviously can't go all the way across cos of the window. The measurement is to start of wall (near window). 

Is that what you were after? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @kb54. Great to see you make your first post. Looking forward to seeing your suggestions for @Sarahb. Perhaps the wonderful @redracer01 will also like to join in and share his thoughts. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We are looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kb54
Finding My Feet

hi sarahb, thanks for those measurements , i have a small laundry like yours  1.8 x 1.8 , what i suggest is run a countertop from the sliding door to your laundry sink. putting the laundry sink against your current cupboard  .a  standard 600mm deep  and the length to the laundry sink. if you get a smaller sink say 30lt then you will have more benchtop.  also i would suggest installing overhead cupboards making sure they are not at a height where you can hit your head . here is a link to help you with that.  https://build.com.au/standard-height-width-and-depth-kitchen-cupboards  good luck , i'm sure we will all be looking forward to seeing your finished project. regards kb54

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Sarahb 

Below are some drawings I made for you. However it is on the assumption that you will change your current top loader for a front loader. You will need to leave enough space for your vertical blinds to open and close. The plumbing may need to be moved a little bit to the right, depending if the new laundry sink is centered to the new cabinet that will be placed there. The drawing shows that I did not remove your existing pantry and only placed the units that will fit in the space. I hope it gives you a better idea of how it will look and possibly help you to decide how you wish to proceed. Just message me here on workshop if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Red

sarahb1.jpgsarahb2.jpgsarahb3.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Sarahb
Getting Established

Sorry for very late reply. Work had been a little hectic. 

Thank you very much for the drawings @redracer01 . That's exactly what I have pictured in my mind. I thought moving the trough down like this too, to give a larger continuous bench space area. 

I thought I might only get 3 cupboards above but looks like I'll get 4 such is exciting!! 

Where would I put washing machine taps? Leave where they are or would it be better to move under bench? 

Thanks again :smile: 

Hope you are staying safe and healthy 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects