Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Aluminium sliding window track fills with water

heidiwelton
Just Starting Out

Aluminium sliding window track fills with water

F368DE19-10EF-47CD-A0CF-5B42E4F9ADEC.jpeg

66BC45D7-9491-4E49-9327-CF48E291A7FF.jpeg

B76EDBA0-33C3-4B37-B9B9-C6768E4E8770.jpeg

  

Aluminium sliding window that faces south. In a storm the inside track fills with water. No visible weep holes on the exterior. How does the water drain away? Should i be concerned?

jaga
Having an Impact

Re: Aluminium sliding window track fills with water

Hi @heidiwelton 

It kind of looks like the weep holes are covered up on the outside.. This is the most obvious cause that I can think of. It looks like the outside sill is rendered - if the window was installed prior to render, then it is feasible that the weepholes were rendered over.

Also, weep holes can become clogged, so if the weepholes are found, check there is nothing blocking them (dirt, debris).

There doesn't appear to be any weep holes or flashing above the window either - it is possible that if this is not flashed correctly, then water could be getting in at the window head, and trickling down to the inside track, which is then holding water.

Hope this helps

jaga

Hi jaga

thank you for your reply.

there isn’t any visible weep

holes on the outside. What is the best way to rectify this problem?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @heidiwelton 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @jaga. Looking at the photos you posted, it seems that there are no weep holes. Traditionally weep holes use to be drilled into the corner of the aluminium rail on the outside end. The modern ones now have a stamped cut out at the corner to let water out. However, before you drill a hole in your window frame, I suggest investigating thoroughly every part of the aluminium rail before attempting to drill. I suggest only a small hole using a Drill Bit rated for steel use.

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @Brad for their recommendations.

Here is a handy guide to help you drill into the aluminium.

If you need more advice and information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects