Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bath paint spray?

RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Bath paint spray?

Hi I had a painter paint my bathroom ceiling today and he suggest I "spray paint" my white bath which is looking a bit worse for wear. I couldn't get him to explain exactly what product he meant. Does anyone know what he means?

Thanks so much

Rosemary

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bath paint spray?

Hello @RosemaryK

Spray painting your bath is one way to restore its finish. But, it also depends on what type of bath you have. If it is a steel bath, you can use White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. Please note that this will not work on a fiberglass or acrylic bath. Before you agree to any kind of paint restoration, it's important to identify what kind of bath you have. An acrylic or fiberglass bath will often have that plastic appearance and feel. A steel bath is always cold to touch and will give that unmistakable sound of steel when you tap it with your knuckle.  

If you do have an acrylic bath. I suggest speaking to your spray painter and asking them what paint system is compatible with your bath. It will have to withstand sudden temperature changes and must bind to the acrylic even if it flexes. Ordinary paint will not work in these conditions. Your other option is to use Autosol 75ml Acrylic Polish and buff the bath to a high shine. Autosol is specially formulated from the finest polishing ingredients to restore scratched and hazed acrylic materials.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bath restored.

Here is a link to our best advice about painting baths: Can you paint a bath? 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a bath

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric 

The bath is definitely not steel. I've read more about painting the bath and I don't like the sounds of it, especially doing it myself. There's some very stubborn soap scum and scratch marks. I want to sell my place and I don't really want to spend much more time,money and energy  on the bathroom. The painter painted the ceiling and if he hadn't said something about this paint for the bath I think I just would have tried to get it cleaner and that's it. Now I'm a bit torn and contemplating whether I should put a new one in. 

Bath.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RosemaryK

Thank you so much for posting a photo of your bath. Looking closely at its condition, the bath can still be polished. Despite the heavy deposits of soap wax and calcium, you can still buff it out with a cut and polish compound. I suggest using CLR 750ml Bathroom And Kitchen Cleaner in combination with Mr. Clean XL Power Scrub Scourer - 10 Pack or similar. You must remove all traces of soap scum and limescale build-up before polishing the tub. Once the tub is thoroughly clean then you can use Autosol 75ml Acrylic Polish

Your bath is still in good condition and can be brought back to a shiny finish. I recommend giving the cut and polish a go before you consider replacing it. For tougher deposits, I suggest using Glitz Green 2L Cleaning Vinegar in a Morgan 1L Plastic Spray Bottle.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bath clean and shiny.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosemaryK
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much Eric!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects