Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom makeover with new cabinetry, shower screen and painting

court_rowe
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom makeover with new cabinetry, shower screen and painting

I took on the challenge of giving my bathroom a facelift. Here are some before & afters!

bathroom.png

Details of the process/products below:

Cabinets:

• Removed hardware
  • Filled in old holes using Knead It Multipurpose putty
  • 42x11 pine cut to size & adhered to existing cabinets using Selleys liquid nails
  • Filled joins using Selleys No More Gaps in White
  • New hinges were required to allow my doors to function properly with the added thickness - used HAFELE 165 degree hinges
  • Primed using Dulux Reno Range Primer
  • Topcoated using British Paints H20 Enamel in Dulux "Moorland"
  • Kaboodle antique bow handles in matte black

Wall & Floor Tiles & Countertop:

• Removed silicone using a scraper
  • Scrubbed tiles & grout clean using Selleys Sugar Soap
  • Gave everything a light sand using 420 grit sandpaper
  • Sprayed Selleys Rapid Moulder Killer, wiped clean & let the grout dry
  • Primed using Dulux Reno Range Primer
  • Wall tiles & countertop topcoated using Dulux Reno Range Tiles & Benchtops in "Lexicon", then applied a satin clear coat
  • Floor tiles topcoated using Dulux Reno Range Floors in "Lexicon"
  • Re-did my silicone using Selleys No Mould in White & Translucent

Walls:

• Painted with Taubmans Endure Low Sheen in Dulux "Natural White"
  • I later realised my walls were never sealed & so I then had to go back, scrape off my paint, apply Dulux Sealer Binder to my raw plaster & then apply my paint again (Note to anyone building/renovating in WA - SEAL YOUR PLASTER WALLS!)

Shower Screens:

• Old screens removed
  • D'LUCCI frameless shower screens 600mm wide installed on both long edges of the shower, using Selleys No Mould silicone Translucent in the drilled holes & to seal the wall-screen & floor-screen joins
  • This was the best/most affordable solution for my shape/size shower with wanting to avoid having a shower curtain

Mirror:

• Sanded the mirror frame using 420 grit sandpaper
  • Applied Dulux 1 Step Primer to the frame
  • Topcoated using White Knight Water Based Enamel in Satin Black

Door to Toilet:

• Removed hardware
  • Pine cut to size & adhered to existing cabinets using Selleys liquid nails to create 3 box frames
  • Filled joins using Selleys No More Gaps in White
  • Primed using Dulux 1 Step Prep
  • Topcoated using British Paints H20 Enamel in Dulux "Moorland"
  • LANE privacy knobset in matte black installed

Decor:

• Hanging planter from Target
  • Wood bowl from Target, coated with Feast Watson Kitchen Timber Wax
  • Plants from Bunnings

IMG_3363.JPGIMG_3361.JPG4EFFDAE7-EFA2-49BD-ADF4-D28B63D40028.JPGIMG_3221.JPGIMG_3217.jpgIMG_3326.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bathroom makeover with new cabinetry, shower screen and painting

Congratulations @court_rowe, you should be so proud of this transformation. All your hard work has led to a brilliant result that I'm sure will inspire many other people in the Bunnings Workshop commuinty.

So pleased to have you join us and share your first project. We're looking forward to reading more about future projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other members. We're here to help and inspire.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What an incredible transformation @court_rowe. I especially love the colour you've chosen for the door and cabinets.

Thanks for taking the time to share a lot of detail about your project. I'm sure members will appreciate it and get ideas for their own makeovers.

We'd love to follow along with your next project and trust that you'll be inspired by the many creative and inspiring projects Bunnings Workshop community members share.

Stevie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @court_rowe

What a fantastic well planned renovation. I'm amazed at the update on the vanity doors. The "Moorland" colour tone really makes the vanity pop out. The paint tones you've chosen have really given the bathroom a lift. The original colours made the room so dark and dated. I can't believe you managed to fit the D'lucci frameless shower panels into your existing shower. Overall an amazing update.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

court_rowe
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much. This was both very challenging and very fun!

court_rowe
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric! I absolutely love this colour “moorland” but the choice was actually more a budget decision! The reno range paints come in 1L tins and so I wanted to maximise the surface I would use in just the one colour to avoid purchasing another 1L in a second colour (tiles & countertop in “lexicon”). And so knowing the countertop would be white like everything else, I thought through what colour to paint the cabinet fronts, considering how to avoid the space being too white and stark and bring a bit of my personality into the area as well 😊

the D’LUCCI frames fit very well, I was very pleasantly surprised. They are slightly too tall, but overall a much better solution that what was previously there in my opinion!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects